Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
designjet 5500ps
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I am gonna switch soon from windows 7 to windows 10 and see there are 2 drivers for the windows 10 for the designjet 5500ps

what is the difference in the  2 drivers below ?

HP Designjet 5500 series HP-GL/2 and HP RTL driver

And

HP Designjet 5500 Printer Series Light Installer (HPGL2) Release

What is meant by a " Series Light Installer"  and the regular driver ?

thanks !   Bobby

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Bobby,

The HP Designjet 5500 series HP-GL/2 and HP RTL driver is a print driver only solution with no installer (intended for use via the Add Printer wizard of the operating system), intended for Windows 10 32-bit OS only.

The HP Designjet 5500 Printer Series Light Installer (HPGL2) Release is a driver solution with an installation wizard, for Windows 10 32 or 64 bit operating systems.

From the driver perspective, there is no difference, the same driver is provided. the difference is with the install program or additional maintenance software provided, the light installer would be my recommendation to use.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi Bobby,

The HP Designjet 5500 series HP-GL/2 and HP RTL driver is a print driver only solution with no installer (intended for use via the Add Printer wizard of the operating system), intended for Windows 10 32-bit OS only.

The HP Designjet 5500 Printer Series Light Installer (HPGL2) Release is a driver solution with an installation wizard, for Windows 10 32 or 64 bit operating systems.

From the driver perspective, there is no difference, the same driver is provided. the difference is with the install program or additional maintenance software provided, the light installer would be my recommendation to use.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Shlomi

Thanks for the reply .

That is what I needed to know

Bobby

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.