Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet z3200

This is a Designjet z3200 24" printer.  I've had it a year or two but only printed fewer than 10 times.  It is always 'on'.  No problems until I tried to initialize to print today.  The initializing process stops with 21.13 error, says to restart.  I've tried several times, unplugging, restarting, etc.  It is basically a new printer (purchased new from HP).  Barely any of the original ink used to date.  I am in a remote area with no HP service available. 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

"21" refers to the component, in this case the service station.

"13" refers to the corrective action, which HP says to Power Off.

Here's the info from the Service Manual:

System Error:
21:YZ
Problem Description:
Fail moving Service Station.
Corrective Action:
Try the following:
􀂄
􀂄Remove the Right Cover and make sure the cables from the Printmech PCA to the Service Station are connected and are not damaged.
􀂄Make sure that the Service Station path is clear. Remove any visible obstacles (e.g. screws, plastic parts, etc...) restricting the movement of the Service Station.
􀂄Perform the Service Station diagnostic test to troubleshoot the problem further ⇒ Page 3-45.
􀂄If the System Error continues, replace the Service Station ⇒ Page 6-60.
􀂄If the System Error continues, replace the PrintMech PCA ⇒ Page 6-71.

Here's a link to download the Service Manual:

https://www.dectrader.com/docs/set08/408051/hp-designjet-z2100-z3100-service-manual.html

If you've had it plugged in, it should automatically move the station when it freshens the printheads.  Do you ever hear the printer cycling by itself?

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Yes, I would hear it cycle, often late at night.  Your posted manual does not tell me how to remove the right cover.  I am concerned that anything would need replacing when the machine has rarely been used, on and covered for dust. 

HP Recommended

I ran the Service Station diagnostic.  It stopped part-way through with the same 21.13 error and instruction to turn off.

HP Recommended

OK.  Please just tell me how to remove the right cover to see the service station.  Do I have to remove ink cartridges first?  I don't see any screws on the right panel.  None of the manuals provide any details.   The manual linked only goes to page 5-26

HP Recommended

Sorry about that.  That used to be a site where you could download the whole manual for free.  Guess not anymore.

LPSComputer has a lot of the Service Manuals for free download.  Here's the one you need.  It might say Z2100 but it covers your printer as well.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1083/1086/files/Z2100_Z3100_Z3200_service_manual.pdf?9878984334271...

It has very good instructions for removing all the components.

HP Recommended

(  service station error ) 

Possibility , printer not use for a while & service station stuck   (   maybe from inks  ) .. I saw my Z3200 44" got same error & no other chance, even I tried to boot up few times.

Then I opened the right cover & used   T1 0    screwdriver & inserted onto the hole right side behind
where it has marking also...   turn left  few times , till service station unlocked & move it to the right..

problem solved & been working since...

try & wish you luck.

HP Recommended

I finally had the time to take the cover off.  The manual is incorrect about how to remove the Front Cover, by the way. 

The platform on the Service Station was dislodged and full of ink.  I cleaned it up and am trying to put it back.  I am not sure how it goes in.  There are clips on the Service Station above the pads and plastic tubes which correspond to the holes in the platform, so it clicks in.  However, I can't see how the small posts on either side of the platform attach.  There is nothing for them to fit into.  Also, a spring 1.75" long was on top of the pads.  Otherwise, nothing seems broken.  If someone can tell me how that platform fits over the pads and tubes, I can put it back together to see if it is working. 

There is nothing in the manuals or on-line to explain how this part of the Service Station works or how the platform (for lack of a better word) is attached.

Again, this is a new, barely used Z3200 24" model.  Still using the ink cartridges that came with the printer.  I appreciate any help.

HP Recommended

There's a youtube video that shows how to remove, disassemble, clean and reassemble a service station on a T1100.  Not the same model as yours but the service stations are very similar in operation.  Take a look here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUmtcqU3SEI

Or you can buy a refurbished one:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Designjet-Z3100-Z3200-Z5200-Service-Station-1-YEAR-WARRANTY-Q6718-67025/372...

EN: Fix problem for (Error : ):21:10/21:11 FR: Solution pour (Erreur : ) : 21:10/21:11 Removig the piece/Enlèvementde la pièce: The Service Station 21:10/21:11 Reassembly/Remontage: The Service Station 21:10/21:11 Machines Repair-Maintenance wide format :(Plotter:HP,CANON/XEROX copier/Printers) ...
HP Recommended

D Hook, are you with HP?  

This Service Station is very different from mine.  It doesn't disassemble the one part I have a problem with.  I still cannot see what could have happened to mine since it is barely used from new and seems to be only one piece that is out of place.  $300 for major part replacement which I have no trust will solve the cause of the problem makes no sense. 

I have used Designjets at my work for many years.  These machines sit idle for months at a time with no maintenance.  Mine appears to be a defective and expensive part.   

Can't HP techs just tell me what this 'platform' does and how it can become disconnected and how to reconnect it?  Is there an exploded diagram somewhere that I can review?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.