Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP DesignJet 755CM
Microsoft Windows XP (64-bit)

I need a Win10 || OSX 10.13  driver for an HP DesignJet 755cm.

This is a plea to HP Support and to Dev staff..

..on behalf of myself, and all the other legacy printer owners..

Guys, I've done my 'due-dilligence'... 

I've tried all versions listed for OSX...they cannot be decoded, binhex encoding problem... 

Please attach last known good PPD file you used to generate the driver to the printer product page, just plain utf-8 text...that way I can get a working PPD file thats 10.13 cool.

And on the Windows side...the plXXX.exe files need to be 'expanded -r *' ...and un-suprisingly the OEMSETUP.inf doesn't show any 'NTamd64' tags..I tried editing the *.inf files myself.  Windows keeps reporting that the dll's aren't for my architecture...even with driver signatures turned off.

Please just attach everything you have to the product pages!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Designjet 755CM is long beyond its support life.  Even the cartridges are getting difficult to find.  I would not expect HP to do any further development.

That said, it is possible to use the XP x64 drivers in Windows 10 x64 - I just verified this on my 1803 system.  You can download the driver from the post here.  Once you have downloaded the driver extract it to a temporary directory.  You will need to disable driver signing as described in the post here.  After disabling the driver enforcement reboot the computer. 

Next go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, The printer that I want is not listed, Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings, Next, [choose the proper port], Next, Have Disk, [browse to the directory where you saved the driver], select the OEMSETUP.inf file, Open, [select the proper model]. Next. 

dj 755cm.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

the printer is not supported on both Systems.

Any printer compatible with Windows 10 is listed below, your printer is not included:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-designjet-700-printer-series/25252/model/12666/document/c046...

Any printer compatible with Mac OS 10.13 is listed below, your printer is not included:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-designjet-700-printer-series/25252/model/12666/document/c044...

For Mac OS 10.13 you may try the 3rd party GutenPrint drivers, these seems to support the Designjet 750C printer and it worth giving it a try:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

I am not aware of any workaround to try with a such on Windows..

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

The Designjet 755CM is long beyond its support life.  Even the cartridges are getting difficult to find.  I would not expect HP to do any further development.

That said, it is possible to use the XP x64 drivers in Windows 10 x64 - I just verified this on my 1803 system.  You can download the driver from the post here.  Once you have downloaded the driver extract it to a temporary directory.  You will need to disable driver signing as described in the post here.  After disabling the driver enforcement reboot the computer. 

Next go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, The printer that I want is not listed, Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings, Next, [choose the proper port], Next, Have Disk, [browse to the directory where you saved the driver], select the OEMSETUP.inf file, Open, [select the proper model]. Next. 

dj 755cm.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi ShiomIL,

Your answer did not resolve my issue.

Please understand,I 100% recoginze that support for this printer has been discontinued.

Here is the situation though...the links in prior blog posts on this topic no longer work and the files attached to the product page are either missing or cannot be extracted.

I'm asking that as part of the 'end-of-life' change for these models, that someone in development will post any files they can dig up from the archives to the product page, so that I can continue to support the printer myself.

If you cannot approve this request, please forward this thread to someone in printer development and have them email me.

Thanks and best regards,

DD

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

I'm not actually expecting anyone at HP to do any active development, I 100% recognize that by HP standards, this printer is obsolete.

Accepting that, here's what I do expect though:

-  The links on the product page should actually contain some type of file.  For the recommended Windows XP Pro x64 drivers...there are none...  Please attach whatever was delivered to Microsoft.

- The files attached to the last supported version of OSX appear to be corrupted and cannot be unpacked...please just attach the file (would be PPD) in simple UTF-8 format.

Stretch goal:

- how about attaching the source for the drivers and/or whatever documents the HP Archivist can find as a zipfile?  They're 'obsolete', and I expect that they wouldn't be giving any HP secrets away now.  They would help developers like myself keep the units running though.

In response to your idea about using the pl532.exe file on Windows 10 build 1803.   Here's what I've already tried and where I got blocked.

#1  When executing, Windows just wants to extract the files using gzip.  Ok, unzip to Desktop directory and proceed from there....

#2 When attempting to install with driver signature turned off, It errors out during the install, because it couldn't find the 'layoutfile.inf' file listed in the OEMSETUP.inf.  It's not part of the pl532.exe file.

#3  After commenting out the layout file, retry again...  get error message that '..this driver is not compatable with your system..'

After looking at the file you recommended, I see that it is NOT the same version that was attached to the HP Product page.  This has a 'security catalog' and the OEMSETUP.inf file is different than the pl532.exe provided with Windows Server 2003 (note again that XP Professional does NOT have a file attached)...

That said, after following the unsigned driver install process, that worked fine!  Thank you, and the fine folks at HP should attach the version you posted to the HP Product page for other people to get too, who knows how long that link will continue to work. 

Thanks and best regards,

DD

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.