Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

SOLUTION - Well workaround..  So I am unsure how or why this worked, but it did for me. 

After trying all the HP suggestions - power cycle, resets, making sure it is plugged directly to the wall, etc. - none of which worked - I stumbled across a solution by accident.  for whatever reason, this works for me.  I am posting in case someone else is having the same issue and Google's this.

After physically installing the printer and getting it up and running on the network.  Then I installed the printer using the HP installation package auto install - but DO NOT print anything, not even a test page. 

THEN,  I manually installed the printer a 2nd time, this time using the Windows Printer installation process based on IP address, but manually chose the HP Universal Printer Driver as the driver (even though that is the wrong driver, I know.)  Then I went ahead and printed a test page after installation using the 2nd installation (with the wrong print drive).  While the print does not come out correctly, it DOES come out and the printer does not lock up.  I just get a print with garbage characters on it.

BUT, after I get that bad print to go through the printer.... suddenly, if I use the first (correct) install, the printer is fine and prints fine on the correct installation.  I don't know why it clears the problem.. but it worked for me.. more than once, in fact.  If I need to power cycle the printer for any reason, or it locks for for some random reason, I just restart the printer, print one "bad" test page using that incorrect 2nd installation and then it works fine again.

HP Recommended

It seems crazy but I powered off the printer, took the power lead out and left it for 24 hours...bingo, its working again!   It did it again after a few weeks so I removed the power cord for 24 hours and its been working fine for about a month now.

I understand its not an adequate solution but it fixed the symtoms.  I would like to know the root cause but HP don't care, so what can you do....I wont be purchasing HP equipment in the future for home or my medium sized business.

HP Recommended

Anyone else searching for info, I don't believe this is fully HP's problem (at least not necessarily)...

I have two laptops connected wirelessly to the 7740 printer. My work laptop (windows 7) crashes the printer and my personal laptop (windows 10) does not. My work IT people have a fair amount of protection and encryption, so...???

I would try this as a fix: https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor-printing-problems?jumpid=re_r11839_us/en/PDPBanne...

And also, after running HPPSdr.exe and printing with my personal laptop, the work laptop suddenly works now...?

No idea **bleep** if going on, but... it's something.

HP Recommended

So we have a very similar issue. 

We bought this model for a user that has an office in a construction trailer. We shipped it to him and he says it crashes every time he tried to print. (Printer has the lockup screen with the power icons and needs to be rebooted)

We thought the printer was DOA so we order a 2nd one and ship it to him. That one has the same results.

We can't believe it. So we have him bring his laptop in and the printer in.... and it all works perfectly in the office and I can't break it. Printed tons of things perfectly from his laptop and 2 other test laptops. On a network, off a network, USB cable. On our VPN, off our VPN. From Chrome, from Notepad, from Word. Firmware is up to date. All works great! 

We send his laptop and printer back to him and his construction trailer. He calls me the next day saying NOTHING prints and it crashes and has to be rebooted on every print job!! @()*#*%@*&%!!!!!!!!

What are we doing wrong? Is it some weird power fluctuation issue that crashes the printer?

HP Recommended

I'm responding to my previous post. This printer is junk.

I was pulling my hair out, trying to get it to work wirelessly and it's a joke. I have to use hardwired USB. Will not work wirelessly.

Also, the driver doesn't like Windows 7. The HP tech installed a driver for Deskjet 9800 instead, just to get it to work semi-reliabably. Unfortunately, this driver doesn't support 2 paper trays and I have to swap them out if I print 11x17 (which is the reason I wanted it in the first place!). The default print margins are awful too. I had to reformat a bunch of documents so they print properly.

If my company hadn't bought it for me, I would have returned it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.