Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc5800 Microtower
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I updated From WIndows 7 to Windows 10 in March; on board sound system worked fine at that point. Since one of the updates this summer (July 12, I think, though it could have been later), the internal speakers do not work; the computer does not recognize the presence of internal speakers (only external speakers and microphone).

I have tried using  Device Manager to update drivers: sound and audio controllers--HD Audio device--runs the update and says my drivers are up to date (but only registers the external speakers). I have tried searching the HP site for the driver compatible with my setup--no luck. 

Can you either help me get to the driver link or suggest another solution? Is it possible to recover and use (e.g.) the driver that I had for Windows 7? or another earlier operating system?

THANKS!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...

I used the W7 ADI soundmax audio driver on my dc7800, which uses the same audio chip.

This is from the dc5800 support page...

This package contains the driver for the ADI High-Definition (HD) Audio CODEC in the supported desktop models and operating systems.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45501-46000/sp45615.exe

Then you have to enable multistreaming in the soundmax control panel, restart the PC, and select the speaker in the manage audio devices section of the control panel (hardware and sound).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...

I used the W7 ADI soundmax audio driver on my dc7800, which uses the same audio chip.

This is from the dc5800 support page...

This package contains the driver for the ADI High-Definition (HD) Audio CODEC in the supported desktop models and operating systems.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45501-46000/sp45615.exe

Then you have to enable multistreaming in the soundmax control panel, restart the PC, and select the speaker in the manage audio devices section of the control panel (hardware and sound).

HP Recommended

Hi--THANKS! Just to add (for those of us like myself)--In order to get the Windows 7 audio driver back, you have to choose Windows 7 from the dropdown menu on the HP site (even though that is NOT your active operating system). All seems to be well now--much appreciated!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.