Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 795
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Like others, I seem to be unable to complete the 20H2 update.   It's stuck at 61%

The issue seems to be the Conexant driver.

Microsoft has some info here.   Seems like this is not an HP specific problem.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-20h2#417msgdesc

I have tried uninstalling the driver with no success.   The update keeps getting reapplied, on the next reboot.
I attempted to use this technique
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalli...

But, I can seem to find a copy of wushowhide that works on my system.

Any suggestions?   I've already tried the HP Image Assistant

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Go to Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers and uninstall the Connexant device, deleting the driver files too.

Then retry the update without rebooting. Should go through ok. If rebooted first, the driver will auto-reinstall and hang it again.

Unbelievable that this issue is still around 11 months after it was first detected.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Go to Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers and uninstall the Connexant device, deleting the driver files too.

Then retry the update without rebooting. Should go through ok. If rebooted first, the driver will auto-reinstall and hang it again.

Unbelievable that this issue is still around 11 months after it was first detected.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip.   That worked.

Although I was a little worried after 20H2 finished, because there was another KB with a 20H2 update, and the Conexant Driver was back.

Everything has applied successfully, so it's solved.  

HP Recommended

This Works! Update starts and stops a few times... hiccups a few times more then reinstalls Conexant stuff. Workiing fine now two days post -op. Thank You!

HP Recommended

Maybe I spoke too fast. CONEXANT ISST Microphone does NOT work. Glad I don't use that function on that machine. 

HP Recommended

Excuse my ignorance but how can I retry the update without rebooting? The update stopped at 61% and I cannot retry it from the Windows update screen

HP Recommended

Here is the process I used, starting from the hung at 61% state:

1. Go into settings and pause updates for 7 days
  2. Reboot either through the menus or use the Power Switch, if you need to
  3. Once backup, go into Device Manager and uninstall the Conexant Driver.   Make sure to select delete files
  4. Do not reboot (even though if it is suggested)
  5. Go back in settings and resume updates
  6. Download and install the update.   Be patient it took a long time for this update to run. 

If there are any "other" updates queued up, that require a reboot, you may need to clear those out first.  
The trick seems to be to remove the drivers, and  with the 20H2 update next in the queue, run it then.   (If the system reboots anytime after the driver removal, they just get reinstalled. ;( 

HP Recommended

That did the trick. Windows is installed. Thanks for your help !!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.