Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY m6 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP ENVY Bang & Olufsen laptop has constant static when starting up, as soon as I hit the power button, once logged in it’s hit or miss on continuing or silencing. I keep my laptop muted all the time unless I’m watching a video for homework (which is once in a blue moon), but when a notification comes through the static comes back as if trying to create the sound even though it’s muted. I also feel it’s worth noting that the static begins loud to the point others in the house can hear it and that the time it takes for my computer to allow me to log in have been about 5 minutes delay. I do nothing on this computer but school work and it barely began happening today when I haven’t been to any websites, except the school’s, the following day. I even tried a reset to two days prior to this happening and it still happened.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Update: My temporary fix has been to go into the sound options and disable my Laptop's speakers, but obviously I'd like them to be able to be used. To add to this, I tested wearing headphones, the sound comes clear through the headphones, but the static continues through the laptop speakers.

HP Recommended

@Soso97,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are getting a static sound coming from the laptop speakers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Run the audio troubleshooter

The audio troubleshooter might be able to fix audio problems automatically.

To run the troubleshooter

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type audio troubleshooter, select Fix and find problems with playing sound from the results, then select Next.
  2. Select the device you want to troubleshoot and then continue through the troubleshooter. 

choose your device in the audio troubleshooter

You can also launch the troubleshooter from audio Settings. Select Start  > Settings > System  > Sound  > Troubleshoot.

If running the troubleshooter doesn't help, continue to the next tip.

Verify that all Windows Updates are installed

To check for updates

1. Select Start  > Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Update   > Check for updates.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • If the status says "You're up to date, go to the next tip. 
    • If the status says "Updates are available," select Install now
  3.  Select the updates you want to install, then select Install.
  4.  Restart your PC and see if your sound is working properly.

If that didn't solve your problem, continue to the next tip.

Check sound settings

Check to make sure your audio devices aren't muted and haven't been disabled.

1. Right-click the Speakers icon  on the taskbar, and then select Open Volume mixer.
  2. You’ll see a set of volume controls for your devices. Make sure none of them are muted. If any of them are muted, you’ll see a red circle with a line through it next to the volume control. In that case, select the volume control to unmute. 

Volume mixer with muted volume controls

3. Check your device properties to make sure that your devices have not been disabled by mistake. Select Start  > Settings  > System  > Sound .
  4. Select your audio device, and then select Device properties. Be sure to select Device properties for both the output and input devices.  

sound output device properties link in sound menu

sound input device properties link in sound menu

5. Make sure the Disable check box is cleared for the output and input devices.

Device properties cleared disable check box

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette I have already done this and as I said in my update disabling the speakers is not a solution. It is a band-aid at best. Not to mention that even when not using the speakers, like with headphones or Bluetooth, they still make the static—the static even plays when starting up my computer even with the disable setting checked. Please offer an actual solution instead of "well you can turn it off", the speakers are one of the reasons I bought this laptop because I heard great things of Bang & Olufsen and I need the audio for school. Not to mention I paid for them, this solution is the same as the AC in a car going out in the summer and just saying not to use it.

HP Recommended

@Soso97,

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette

I have done this as well and the person I got on the phone was very rude and didn't understand my situation then insisted that I was rude and that obviously my computer's speakers couldn't do that and I must be mistaken. He let me speak, repeated what I was reporting/trying to explain back to me wrong and when I tried to correct him he spoke over me and said he couldn't do anything until I purchased a plan of some kind. Why would I purchase a plan from someone who is rude and just wrote me off? This experience is why I'm on these boards, hoping someone will know what I'm talking about or how to fix an issue that's been reported and recorded several times on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTeKyJg7yxc  and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsf0uFFHjHg

Again. Not a solution.

HP Recommended

@Soso97,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any. 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.