Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
500-314
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hey! My sound went out. I did some updates that got my rear panel audio jacks working with a set of drivers that weren't from HP, and when I updated BIOS from the manufacturer. It changed the display of my sound properties, but my audio jack was working. I'm on a HP 500-314 with a six panel audio jack on the back and a headphone and microphone jack on the front panel. The sound left in three stages. First being a reinstall of the IDT Audo Codec from HP, then they went out after a Windows update and changed order during a BIOS update. When I reinstalled new drivers this time, the front panel stopped working completely, but audio was able to play through L R  Lime green on back panel, only. Last night I downloaded AMD Overdrive and one of the settings bumped "L R" Lime green off and I couldn't get it back on.

In this photo, "Speakers" is the bottom half of the six panel on the back with left, right and subwoofer speakers. None of them work or are seen a plugged in. "L R" Lime green is next to the microphone jack on the back and is the jack that was working yesterday until it left the building. When it was working, it was picked up under "Digital Audio". Pretty odd.

"Digital Audio" used to change when you jacked in a set of speakers or a headset, and now it's a default setting with an audio jack that I don't have, but it was working.

I went ahead and changed the drivers through Device Settings to the default High Definition Audio driver instead of IDT Codec. Last night I used the UEFI to reinstall from factory settings and went from Windows 10 to 8.1. It didn't change any of the sound properties, and it changed the drivers back to IDT. I can't figure this one out...

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Untitled2.pngj

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@csaim

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community.

I reviewed the case regarding issues with the computer.

I will be delighted to assist you here.

Since you have already performed most of the troubleshooting steps, I would say the next step would be performing a complete recovery which would taking back to the factory settings, but please take a back up before trying this.

Follow this link for instructions.

Keep me posted. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As I stated, I went through the UEFI to recover to factory settings, and the computer is now reset to Windows 8.1. This was a very thorough clean.

I think this is an error with the way the computer is assigning ports to the peripherals, being that the ports listed aren't the original ports that were shown when I purchased the computer. HP support for the computer 500-314 also does not have updated BIOS. I went and found the AMI 80.16, 3/8/2017.

I also know that this specific motherboard is an MSI Orchid-S, MS-7906 and has had it's support transitioned to a larger database online that serves as a database for storing 1000s of older systems. MSI, HP Support and other websites you would expect for newer releases of the BIOS don't have them anymore, and instead I think it falls on these databases to keep a copy for anyone who needs it. The BIOS never has had any good features for this specific board and I've updated it three or four times so far. No extra BIOS utilities have ever been included. Even though it's a good PC, and a good board, the support from the companies who produced this board leads me to believe they had rather low expectations out of it. It was purchased at a Best Buy. The other thing to worry about is that the updates via drivers or Windows update has left the sound devices a little vulnerable, too. Like I've said, I've noticed quite a bit of change to the properties panel since I've had to fix the sound issues four times since I've purchased it.

I know a store tech would be able to get a little bit more technical, but I would like to know what processes connect the sound card to the drivers to the data.

HP Recommended

@csaim

Thanks for the response.

When you said you performed a clean installation of windows 8.1, is it a retail copy, or through a recovery kit from HP?

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I went to Advanced Startup through the control panel. In the UEFI there is an option to fully reset Windows. It reinstalled Windows 8.1 from a partition on a third, separate drive that came with the computer.

Also of note with the missing and changing properties happening on the computer. I installed an R7 Radeon 260x graphics card and don't use the original monitor jack on the motherboard anymore. When it was installed, a requirement to get the card to work over the A8-7600's integrated graphics was to disable the integrated graphics from device manager. It then disappeared from the device manager panel and the computer by default uses the graphics card on clean installs which I assume is part of Windows registering to installed hardware and was never a part of clean installs of Windows because I haven't had an issue since. The only issue is the sound panel changing and I don't have a sound card laying around or any extra PCI slots since I purchased a WiFi card and Graphics...

HP Recommended

Ok. Um. It just hit a wall, again. Bluetooth in device manager is not detecting any hardware, and in that process I've found where Windows put the integrated graphics. Should I be doing something about all of these driver and hardware issues I've never experienced before from installing drivers and cleaning Windows?

HP Recommended

I just remembered; I have a recovery program USB from Geek Squad. I'm unsure how to use this program, though.

HP Recommended

@csaim

Thanks for the reply.

Follow this link and try the steps under "Perform system recovery" and check "Factory reset using media you created".

Let me know if it worked out. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I was able to solve the sound issues by installed Driver Booster and it has a feature to fix sound issues. The properties panel is back to displaying the original plugged in audio and all ports are now working.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@csaim

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad you found the solution for this concern.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And select Accepted as solution to help others find the same solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.