Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have two HP 27 curved monitors connected to my docking station via HDMI digital jacks.   I'm attempting to hear through the monitors and I hear nothing.  

#1 - please confirm that these monitors have built in speakers?

#2 - I do not have any other audio devices plugged in (no headphones, no nothing).  I do not wish to send the audio through headphones at all.  I need the audio to play from the computer out through the monitor speakers.  

#3 - on the computer, under Audio Devices, the Playback device is selected to "HP 27 curved intel"

#4 - I have updated the drivers from your website and ensured that my computer is uptodate as well.

How do I get sound to issue from the monitor speakers.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the product number of the monitor you have?

I see at least 3 different HP 27 curved monitor models, and one states it has audio and two state they don't.

HP Recommended

Serial number [edited]

Model HSTND-9411-A

HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the specs for your specific monitor.

https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c05414372

It does have an audio output but unfortunately, I have no idea why you aren't getting sound from the monitor, because in all respects you should be.

HP Recommended

The only cable connecting the monitor to my computer is the HDMI cable.  Shouldn't the sound be coming across this cable to the monitor?    I do not see a separate audio input port.    Also, when I access the button panel on the back of the monitor (none of the buttons are labels btw...), I cannot ever find an option for audio settings or volume.  Based on this, I do not believe this monitor has audio capabilities.    I gave up and hooked up a pair of speakers.  I am disappointed.  Guess I should have paid more attention during the purchase.  

HP Recommended

Yes, if the monitor only has an HDMI input (no audio inputs--light green jack input), then either the item is defective or the specs are wrong.  

You should be getting audio out of the monitor since you have selected it as the playback device in the windows control panel under the hardware and sound>sound>manage audio devices section.

Do you see any grills or openings in the display bezel (even on the underside)?

The frame should have some 'vents' to allow the sound to work better.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul!

yep, there are "vents" that look like traditional speakers on the underside (both left and right) and a small row of "vents" across the middle back I think those are actual ventilation).

So I have two defective monitors?  I can hook up my old monitor (which has speakers) and it also is only attached via the HDMI cable, and the audio works on it.  But neither of these HP monitors do. And I've tried hooking up just one, thinking that may the dual hookup was an issue.  Still no luck.

I don't have the crates to return them even if they are defective at this point.  I'll just "make do" with my auxilliary speakers.  It's too bad. the pictures are great and I'm really enjoying my dual monitor experience, it just would have been perfect had they actually had sound.  😞     *sigh*        C'est la vie!

HP Recommended

I doubt that both of the monitors are defective, and they probably have speakers.

Since your old monitor's audio works with the hdmi cable, that rules out a PC issue with the HDMI audio out.

Did you look at the user guide for your monitor? 

It mentions it has 4W speakers and an audio input, and shows illustrations of all the controls, inputs, etc.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-27-inch-displays/7274719/model/7308756/manuals

HP Recommended

Yeah, i checked that out. 

I noted that on the Setup Poster, Step 4 shows a audio cable running from the computer to the monitor.   I don't have that kind of green-tipped audio cable and I also don't see a green "audio in" port on the back of the monitors.  Literally the only holes/ports on this monitor are 1) power, 2) HDMI, 3) DisplayPort, and 4) headphones jack (audio out - black port).  All of my ports are located underside so the poster looks very different from my model.

The User's Manual also says this model has a "VGA (analog) video input" and that's definitely not the case.  There's nothing VGA-ish on this unit.  

Even though I got the Model # by accessing the menu buttons on this unit, I do not believe the User's Guide and this Model # are well matched.     All the user's guides pictures of the back of the unit and menu button locations do not remotely resemble the unit I have.

HP Recommended

I agree...the manual is not the right one if the illustrations don't match.

I think at this point, you may want to contact the offical HP support line and see if anyone who works for HP can help you figure out why the sound isn't working.

In the USA/Canada, call this number... 1 866-724-8600

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.