Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 550-055na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have Realtek speakers on my PC and they work fine. 

I used to be able to use an hdmi cable to change my TV to the monitor and get picture and sound without changing anything. Then that stopped working but by rebooting with the TV as monitor the PC would recognise it and I would get sound.

Now I can't reboot with the TV as monitor because the PC won't recognise it and I then have trouble restarting my PC with an HP monitor.

I have checked cables and replaced. Downloaded all the latest drivers and tried to update the bios (it stayed at AMI 80.06 20/03/2015 so maybe the 2018 driver I tried to download was not right).

The other day I was playing a computer game and then the screen just 'went to sleep' as though it was disconnected. This makes me think it isn't a Microsoft problem - but everything seems to be working OK now.

I have anti-virus software and barring problems getting rid of doubleclick.net nothing of note there.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@hgd58 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are not getting sound from the TV when streaming from my PC.

As you have stated that you have already updated the drivers and BIOS.

I would suggest you perform the system reset and check.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks Praveen196,

I appreciate you taking the time.

The problem actually is emerging as the video card overheating:

hgd58_0-1580241646048.png

and this is causing problems with booting up (no monitor at all), video games and in all probability the streaming sound problem - the hdmi cable goes into the video card.

I tried to service the card and clear out any dust etc. but I think the likelihood is the card's fan is not working and that is causing the overheat.

I would replace it with a newer model but my worry is that my power supply is 180 w uatx energy star 6.0 internal power supply. Nearly all the cards say 300W - though I have seen Amazon posts where people have gotten away with 240W so I may try a ASUS GT710-SL-2GD5 GeForce GT 710.

I am still investigating. All tips are appreciated.

HP Recommended

@hgd58 

Thank you for the update.

In that case, I would suggest you contact our phone support. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.