Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been using my microphone for meetings and conference calls all of two weeks but yesterday started experiencing distortion. Its using the Microphone Array Realtek audio (its the only mic installed on my computer) I've tried all the troubleshooting and trying to change the settings and following instructions from various posts but nothing has worked. I'm not finding any of the settings people are suggesting to change to even be present on my machine for some reason. Also, when i right click the speaker icon in the lower right corner, there is no microphone option. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ELISADDIQ,

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with mic distortion.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Run Audio Troubleshooter

- Launch Troubleshooting by typing and clicking “Troubleshooting” in   

Windows search.

- Click on "Playing Audio".

- Follow the on-screen instructions.

2. Check if microphone isn't disabled.

- Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".

- Click on "Show disconnected devices", and "Show disabled devices".

- Select on Microphone, click on "Properties". If it is disabled, enable it.

- Once enabled, set Microphone as default audio input device.

3. Check if microphone isn't muted.

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Volume Mixer".

- On the Microphone slider, slide it up to 100%.

4. Boost sensitivity of Microphone

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording".

- Double click on Microphone.

- Open the Levels Tab, move the Microphone boost slider up to check audio.

5. Disable enhancements

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording“, Double

click on Microphone.

- Open the Enhancements / Effects Tab.

- Check "Disable All Sound / System Effects“. Click Apply, OK, test the Microphone again.

6. Change format of the Microphone

- Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".

- Double click on Microphone.

- Go to the Advanced Tab, choose any of the 16 bit options on the list.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried all of steps 1 but for the following steps:

2. When I right click the volume icon on the taskbar there is no "Recording Devices" option however I know the microphone is not disabled because I can still use it and I only have one on my computer so I know it can't be using a different microphone.

3. when i open the volume mixer there is no microphone slider to slide, only the speaker and the different apps i have open

4. When i right click the volume icon, there is no "Recording" option to click

5. Again, there is no "Recording" option for me but i did find a more roundabout way to the device settings and disabled the enhancements but there is still distortion

6. There is no recording Devices option, but i did find my way to the advance tab and the bit options however it is grayed out and is not letting me change the setting.

Now even though this is my computer and I am the only one who uses it, could it be possible i don't have some admin settings correct or something? Could that be why none of these options are showing up for me as they should be?

HP Recommended

@ELISADDIQ,

I recommend you uninstall the audio driver from the device manager and then download and install it from the below link.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Here is how it is done.

1. Type "Device Manager" into the search field to open the device manager console.
  2. Expand the node that represents the type of device that you want to uninstall, right-click the device entry, and click Uninstall.
  3. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.
  4. When the uninstall process is complete, remove the device.

NOTE: On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click the Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the driver package that was used for the device.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.