Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 24 All-in-One PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have been having issues with my microphone. I get random bits of audio that record when trying to record something. Now I am getting a lot of feedback from my speakers, even when I am not recording anything. I cannot make out what is being said, but it is when I talk or make noise in the room. I must have some settings messed up, but I have gone through every step, every video, every troubleshooting I can find, and no solution. I also have issues that I cannot plug in a microphone or headphones in the AUX jack in the back of the computer. When I plug things in, the computer doesn't even recognize anything is there. I cannot search for that device or find it anywhere. Anyone have more help than what I am finding online and on HP's website? 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Garlandlibrary Greetings from the HP Community!

• Have you attempted to update the BIOS, Video card & Audio drivers to resolve this issue?
    • If not, here's the link to download and install the above updates: Click here

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

Step 1: Right-click on the Start button in the taskbar area and then click Device Manager to open the same.

Step 2: In the Device Manager, expand Sound, video and game controllers.

Step 3: You should now see your audio driver name. Most likely you have Realtek High Definition Audio, Right-click on it and then click Uninstall device option.

Step 4: You will now get the following confirmation dialog. Select Delete the driver software for this device checkbox and then Yes button when you see the confirmation dialog to go ahead and uninstall the device driver.

Restart your PC once & it should auto-reinstall a working driver.

If the issue with the sound continues, The best way to resolve the issue is by using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

CLICK HERE FOR STEP BY STEP GUIDE

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is something I had not tried yet. Unfortunately, after going through all your steps, I now have NO sounds whatsoever. Now not only do I not have an input, I no longer show an output. My problem is now worse. Any other ideas? 

HP Recommended

@Garlandlibrary Its all a part of the troubleshooting, when you delete the drivers and restart the device, it should usually reinstall the same automatically, however, if that doesn't work, please install the latest driver from the HP website: click here to find and install the same.

Once done, restart the device and check if that works,

Also, check if the Microphone works on an alternate device and keep me posted.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It's a built in mic, so I can't try it in another computer. I do have one that I can plug in to the Aux port, but it doesn't register on this computer. It does work on other computers however, so that mic works, this computer just can't detect it. I still have no audio input or output detected. I can't plug one in, I can't use the built in ones. Nothing works. The only way I can get sound is to connect it to a television and select that TV output for sound. Other than that, nothing. 

HP Recommended

@Garlandlibrary I suggest you perform a test on the device o identify the issue, as this could be a hardware malfunction with the audio card:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

Click Extensive Test.

Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.