Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP411 a000na – intel Celeron
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have purchase a slimline (HP411 a000na – intel Celeron ) desktop pc.  Installed Microsoft Office 365 without any problems but I HAVE NO SOUND. Can anyone help?  Soundis vewry important to because I receive sound files to transcribe.

PLEASE HELP

thank you

Kathleen 22

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You should be able to get sound out of the headphones too.

It should be working out of the headphone jack in the front of the PC, but you have to select headphones as the default device setting as @114196 suggested.

Right click on the Windows start button on the lower left of the screen, Select the Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound>Manage Audio Devices and select the headphones.

But you will need a set of PC speakers to get sound from the PC other than via the headphones.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Did you add a set of PC speakers to your computer?

HP consumer desktop PC's do not have a built in speaker inside.

Only the HP business desktop PC's have a built in speaker inside the case.

HP Recommended

Hey,

What are you using as sound device (speaker, headphones, etc.)?

You can always check what your default sound device is by going to the speaker (volume) in the icon bar bottom right > right click > sounds (window pops up) > playback. Here you can find a list of available playback devices. This is also the place where you can sellect your default playback device which will be used to play sound.

Hope it helped!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.   I have a set a set of digital headphones which I use for transcribing the voice files I receive.  I am not very good at understanding computer jargon and sometimes get "completely" lost over simple things.   I have  Home Edition Windows 10 which I installed with a complete Office 365 (which surprised I managed to do that on my own)so from your message I gather I dont have built in speakers.  does this mean I need to buy speakers and install them?  I think I will do a quick trip to the computer store and will sort this out.

Thank you very much once again - I will let you know if this will resolve my problem.

Kind regards,

Kathleen22

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You should be able to get sound out of the headphones too.

It should be working out of the headphone jack in the front of the PC, but you have to select headphones as the default device setting as @114196 suggested.

Right click on the Windows start button on the lower left of the screen, Select the Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound>Manage Audio Devices and select the headphones.

But you will need a set of PC speakers to get sound from the PC other than via the headphones.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

Im struggling with my way around on this site but slowly Im getting there.  With regards to my post of yesterday re"No sound" on my pc.  I went to the computer store and bought a set of speakers and NOW I HAVE SOUND!!!  Thank you.  I knew it would be a simple thing but what I know of computers is dangerous sometimes.  I know all about Word processing but anything else I know nothing.

I have another problem today.  I seem to get a lot of updates. Both yesterday and today when I logged on first thing in the day it took me 35 minutes to be able to log on as  the computer was downloading some updates. Well today when logging on it took me even longer than yesterday.  How much updating do these computers need?  Is this because its a new computer?  Im beginning to get worried.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Rgds

Kathleen22

HP Recommended

Hi, Kathleen22:

Yesterday was Microsoft's 'Patch Tuesday' where on the 2nd Tuesday of each month, Microsoft releases updates to windows (mostly security related stuff).

So, your PC was caught in a perfect storm of updating from past things because it is new, + yesterday's updates.

The only daily update you should receive going forward is the windows defender virus definition update and that is automatic and quick, and the monthly updates from Microsoft.

Also bear in mind that the Intel Celeron processor in your PC is one of the slowest out there, so any kind of multitasking is going to slow it down quite a bit.

HP Recommended

thanks very much for your reply, it all makes sense now.

rgds

Kathleen22

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.