Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Pro 6300 Small Form Factor PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After installing the Nvidia NVS310 display adapter (to provide dual monitor support), I notice that the icon for my system audio has a red X through the icon, and when I hover above it, I see the message "No audio output device is installed". After some searching for related posts, I can across a posting here which suggested that by installing the display adapter, the internal display & audio become disabled. Upon checking the system BIOS setting, I am able to locate a setting which shows the internal display adapter as disabled, but I don't see a similar field for the audio adapter. My system BIOS is version K01 V3.07. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bmb
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

I wouldn't think that should happen to your PC, but you can see if there is an onboard Audio setting in the BIOS that somehow became disabled when you installed the Nvidia NVS 310 graphics card.

If there is such a setting it would be in the BIOS' Advanced tab>Device Options menu.

Before you do that, go to the Windows control panel>hardware and sound>sound>manage audio devices and see if the default setting got changed from the PC speakers to some other output device.

HP Recommended

Paul, thanks for your reply. Here is a screen shot of what I see, regarding BIOS settings.  This is without the Nvidia adapter installed.  Could you be referring to the setting named "Internal Speaker" ?

20220118_140024647_iOS.jpg

again, without Nvidia adapter installed, this is my default audio device (aka onboard integrated Realtek audio controller).

2022-01-18_7-19-27.jpg

I will update this post with same information, after installing the Nvidia display adapter

bmb
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That setting just enables/disables the internal speaker.

The onboard audio enable/disable setting would only appear if a graphics card with HDMI or display port outputs is installed, or you installed an additional audio card.

What perplexes me is I have two 8200 Elite CMT's and I added video cards to both of those.

The video cards both have HDMI outputs, and my PC's onboard Realtek audio was not disabled.

On my dc7800, when I added a video card with HDMI, the onboard audio was disabled like yours was, but the enable/disable onboard audio setting is not present unless the video card was installed.

HP Recommended

OK, my second attempt has been successful and here is what I did. 

1) installed the adapter in the computer, and rebooted

2) before loading the OS, I check for the BIOS setting to "enable the onboard audio", it was not present.

3) once the OS loaded, I used Computer Management | Device Manager to disable the NVIDIA High Definition Audio device.

4) at this point only one of my two displays was functional, and resolution was very low (I don't recall actual). 

5) I figured that some display drivers were needed, and from the NVIDIA web site, I located "311.15-quadro-tesla-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe" install package for this adapter.

6) I ran the setup with Custom install options, specifically not including the "audio" driver software

7) After rebooting the system, I now have two active displays, albiet with 1024 x 768 display resolution and no option to increase. 

😎 I ran the install package for the display adapter once again and noticed that along with the audio driver not being installed, a WMI driver was not installed. I choose to install that. 

9) After system reboot, again 1024 x 768 was the highest resolution available, my Realtek system audio was still functional (yeah), but now I needed to install a display driver supporting higher resolution.

10) By using Computer Management | Device Manager, I accessed the Display Adapter object for NVIDIA NVS 310. Selected Update Drivers and choose the option to Browse my computer for drivers.  I browsed to the Program Files location for NVIDIA Corp and clicked next. 

11) After a few minutes, updated drivers must have been located and installed, as when my displays refreshed, both monitors were set to 2560 x 1080 mode and by Realtek system audio was still functional. 

bmb
HP Recommended

Glad you were able to get the onboard audio and correct video resolution to work. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.