Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Phoenix 800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I updated Windows 10 yesterday to the 1709 Windows 10 Fall Creators. The result was no sound. At first, the Troubleshooter said the IDT High Def Audio was not connected, but as I kept updating drivers and rebooting and updating drivers and rebooting, and troubleshooting and rebooting, and Googling solutions and rebooting (you get the idea), I still have no sound but my devices are recognized. They each say they are working properly. I tried rolling back Windows 10, no sound, re-installing the updated version, no sound. I have followed Troubleshooting and solutions until Microsoft ran out of options. I have raised, lowered, adjusted volume controls, checked the Services showing Windows Audio on, and the sp71717.exe driver does not work for me. I wrote to the IDT people who referred me to the Tempo Semi company. I can't find a driver there. I crawled on my hands and knees checking plugs, loose connections, wires and every other conceivable physical problem. I can "see" the sound bar rise and fall in the Playback Devices screen but there is still nothing coming from my speakers.

I have one anomaly that may affect the sound: after one week of ownership of this new HP Envy Phoenix, the system failed, I had to return it for repair, and when I got it back, the sound plug in the back could no longer be used, and I was told to plug the sound cable into the top microphone jack. It has worked perfectly from there.  In my process of updating drivers, sometimes this IDT High Def Audio would show as unplugged, sometimes it would show it was connected to the front panel (on the top) and working properly. This placement has worked for over four years, and nothing was changed.

I have now spent 10 hours working on the problem and I am still without sound. I would love for all of you experts (I'm only a "very knowledgeable" 74 year old!) to chew on this and see if you can think of anything else I could try. Trust me, I would be very grateful, and would greatly appreciate anyone taking the time and trouble to answer. As a reminder, my sound system worked correctly up to the very time I updated Win 10. Oh, yeah. My computer is out of warranty.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@MerryMarjie

I don't know what is your Envy Phonix 800 but no drivers for Windows 10 for the following machine

https://support.hp.com/au-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-phoenix-800-000-desktop-pc-series/5358985/m...

Please try Windows 10 update, Windows 10 1709 updated my machine automatically as shown

updt.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the reply. The URL leads to a site for my computer, but the only drivers available seem to be for Win 7 or 8. I know my computer is over 4 years old, hoped it wasn't obsolete yet as it has worked great and I've always been able to solve the little problems that arise. I will keep searching for the solution!

BTW, the new HP Support tools are great, and I'm glad I have them on my computer. It's always nice to have a helping hand when you need one, just as you gave me more clues to this problem. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi, @MerryMarjie

I am surprised that the sp71717 driver didn't work for you.  Normally it does, but in rare cases, it doesn't.

There is only one other thing I can think of that you can try...and here it is...

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device category.

1. Select the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC under that category.

2. Select Driver tab.

3. Click on Update Driver... button.

4. Select  -> Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select  High Definition Audio Device (Not  IDT High Def...  this is important.) and click Next.

A warning message may appear,  but click Yes.

7. Windows has successfully updated your driver software.

8. Restart the PC.

The key is step 6.

HP Recommended

Thanks again for keeping on top of this. IT IS NOW SOLVED! I can't tell you how I fell off my chair when I suddenly heard SOUND coming from my computer after an almost two-day silence.

The anomaly I posted, how I've ALWAYS had to use the microphone connection on top of the unit to hear sound, concerned me to the point where I finally disconnected the plug and connected it to the back port. (Granted, I had done this earlier, but it did not work.) IT NOW WORKS. After ALL of the testing and restesting and starting and restarting my computer, I suddenly hear sound. I was told when this first came up (over four years ago) that maybe the motherboard wasn't set up to produce audio out of the rear port or it had been affected somehow, and someone at HP got me to connect to the microphone slot where I finally heard the sounds, thus problem quickly solved and no further work on it.

I believe when I first tested the back port on Tuesday, I had not updated to the proper driver and thus, I still couldn't get audio, but after everything I've done in the meantime, the plug finally worked.

Thank you, HP Support Forum, for giving me the time and space to talk out this problem. Paul_Tikkanen, you gave me the courage to plod on with your upbeat messages! I imagine that this solution won't help a whole lot of people, other than knowing that if you just keep working at it, you'll prevail, but I hope others will understand how much a forum like this is beneficial.

Thanks, HP!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you got the sound to work again.

HP Recommended

Paul_Tikkanen: Thank you! This worked for me. As soon as I changed the driver to the High Definition Audio Device, not the IDT High Def, the sound started working!

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Thank you @Paul_Tikkanen so much - my "Line in" was showing unplugged, even though it was plugged in.  After doing what you described, I have it back again - it was the Fall Creators update that caused the problem.  Many thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.