Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy Phoenix 800-002a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The desktop uses the Integrated IDT 92HD68E2 High Definition Audio Codec and there is no sound output from the headphone port in the top I/O ports or from either of the two back audio ports – audio side speaker out or audio line out. I have tested the speakers and headphones on other devices and they work perfectly so either the jack sensing has failed or the issue is deeper than that.

I have tried the following without any success:

1. uninstalling and reinstalling the audio codec;
  2. uninstalling and deleting the audio codec, then downloading and reinstalling it;
  3. opening the Sound panel on the taskbar to see what shows on the Playback tab – ie:
  • The Speakers/Headphones and Communication Headphones go from 'not plugged in' to 'ready' when headphones are connected to the top headphone port. No sound at the headphones though
  • There is  no change to the display when the speakers are connected to the back audio ports.

The only sound I get is from a second monitor with internal speakers connected by a DVI cable. The problem may be related to upgrading the OS from Windows 8.1 to 10 but I can't be certain as I really haven't tried to listen to sound files since upgrading. Any help I can get would be most appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if the W10 IDT audio driver works for you...

This package provides the IDT Tempo High Definition Audio Driver for supported desktop models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp71717.exe

If the above driver doesn't work either, there is a workaround that you can try to at least get the sound to work...

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device category.

1. Select IDT High Definition Audio CODEC under that category.

2. Select Driver tab.

3. Click Update Driver... button.

4. Select  -> Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select  High Definition Audio Device (Not  IDT High Def...  this is important.) and click Next.

A warning message may appear,  but click Yes.

7. Windows has successfully update your driver software.

8. Restart the PC.

The key is step 6.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if the W10 IDT audio driver works for you...

This package provides the IDT Tempo High Definition Audio Driver for supported desktop models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp71717.exe

If the above driver doesn't work either, there is a workaround that you can try to at least get the sound to work...

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device category.

1. Select IDT High Definition Audio CODEC under that category.

2. Select Driver tab.

3. Click Update Driver... button.

4. Select  -> Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select  High Definition Audio Device (Not  IDT High Def...  this is important.) and click Next.

A warning message may appear,  but click Yes.

7. Windows has successfully update your driver software.

8. Restart the PC.

The key is step 6.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

The driver update didn't work but the workaround you suggested did. I had to also go into the 'Speakers' icon on the taskbar and disable the speakers on the secondary monitor. Thanks very much.

Cheers

Geoff

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Geoff.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.