Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN 25L Desktop - GT12-0235se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

OMEN 25L Desktop - GT12-0235se

Product number: 3UR06AA#ABA

Win10 22H2

For no apparent reason whatsoever, my customer's application sounds are muted approximately 50% upon first

trigger. After that, sound level is normal. For example, in testing this I used Windows sounds - upon first click, the

sound is muted +/-50% if it works at all. At the 2nd click, the sound is normal. I did this via Teamviewer and noted that while local sounds are muted on first click, remote sounds are 100%.

So far we've tried the obvious, e.g., pulling the sound drivers and reinstalling, updating the sound drivers from HP, and

checking for updated drivers from Microsoft.

An odd thing that fixed the problem for approx. 24 hours is opening Sounds/Communications tab, checking the "Do Nothing" box there. Apparently, this setting controls whether the system will mute sounds upon telephone operations. The first time we ticked the "Do Nothing" box everything went back to normal, i.e., application sounds worked as normal when triggered. The next morning the problem recurred.

Appreciate any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I fixed the problem by replacing the HP Realtek sound driver with a generic Microsoft one.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

hi

So ask your customer to check if still under warranty

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks Prométhée:

The machine is still under warranty. Are you thinking there's a hardware issue, or are you just wondering why the client hasn't contacted HP Support?

HP Recommended

If the computer has a problem, it must be repaired for free, so yes you have to take advantage of the warranty period!
You are a professional, that's right, but not in relation to hp?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

"If the computer has a problem, it must be repaired for free, so yes you have to take advantage of the warranty period!"

Thanks Promethee, the client is aware of the warranty status of the machine.

HP Recommended

I fixed the problem by replacing the HP Realtek sound driver with a generic Microsoft one.

HP Recommended

🤔

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Yep.

Pulled the current HP Realtek drivers (again). Downloaded previous set and installed. The problem remained. Reinstalled the latest HP drivers, naturally the problem remained.

On a whim, pulled the Realtek set and installed the generic Microsoft via the Sound Troubleshooter. One must click "No" to the question of whether or not one heard the ping when asked, otherwise the troubleshooter ends. At the step that requests a driver replacement, I clicked "Yes." Problem resolved.

When I didn't use the Sound Troubleshooter but instead manually installed the generic Microsoft driver via Device Manager, upon reboot the system replaced the generic with the HP Realtek. I repeated this step several times to confirm.

Very strange - but at least it's fixed for now.

HP Recommended

I've seen issues with newer hp drivers, which should be compatible
and sometimes fixed with another hp driver, but older
What is curious, I did a test, with a non-hp realtek driver, quite old, and it works perfectly even after windows 11 updates
There must be problems with some versions from hp!

Solved: Switch "HP Audio Control" to "Realtek HD Audio" - HP Support Community - 8440963

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Where did you find that old Realtek driver?

I went to their website and couldn't find anything sound related.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.