Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion a431of
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My Pavillion a431of Realtek Audio Device states that my speakers are not plugged in. They are. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the current driver countless times. I have performed System Restore. I have followed the instructions on both the HP Support and Windows Troubleshooting to no avail. My speakers were working fine one day and then stopped working the next day for no apparent reason. How can I fix this? Please help!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi! @dflint78, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have audio issues with your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned you are getting Realtek High Definition Audio Not Plugged In Error on your PC.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Go to Control Panel -> Devices Manager -> Audio, Video and Games Controllers

And find there Realtek audio card. Click on it with the right button of your mouse and choose ' Properties '.
Select ' Driver ' tab and select Roll Back Driver check if the issue persists.

Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
In the list of audio device drivers, look for Realtek High-Definition Audio. This is the device driver for BeatsAudio (a little bit sneaky, wouldn’t you say?).
Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
Select Browse my computer for driver software.
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
In the Model box, highlight High Definition Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window with High Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllers section, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead of Realtek High-Definition Audio.
At the prompt to reboot, click Yes.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

Is the loudness equalization off? If not, please:
Right, click the speaker icon
select 'Playback Devices'. 
Highlight the default device
Click Properties
Click Enhancements tab
Next to 'Loudness Equalization' take out the check mark in the box.
Click Apply
Click OK

If the issue still persists uninstall the audio driver from device manager and install the drivers using HP recovery manager.

Refer this article to know how to restore drivers using HP recovery manager.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried all of your suggestions, but unfortunately the problem still persists. My device still says the speakers are not plugged in.

HP Recommended

@dflint78, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

I would suggest you try performing a complete system recovery on your PC and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a complete system recovery on your PC.

If the issue still persists after performing a complete system recovery on your PC.

It is a hardware issue with your PC. Please contact HP Support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for all your advice Mr. Robot. Before I attempt a System Recovery I would like to know what impact it will have on my computer. I understand that I need to backup all my created data, and will have to reinstall my apps, but after performing the recovery, what are the chances that I will lose all functionality of my computer. Though my Windows 7 is real and official software, I do not have the system software install disc or any recovery discs. Is there a chance I will not be able to use my computer again?

HP Recommended

@dflint78, It's great to hear from you again.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

After performing a system recovery on your PC you will lose all the data and you will have to reinstall all the applications.

Before performing recovery you can try performing a system restore on your PC.

This process will not delete any files on your PC, it will restore your PC back to the date when it was working fine. If the issue still persists after performing a system restore try performing a system recovery.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a system restore on your PC.

As you mentioned you don't have a set of recovery discs. Please contact HP support and order a set of recovery discs.

Link to contact HP.

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have an HP 22uh.  I have no sound.  I have Realtek speakers.  I am plugged into the ear phone port and still have no sound in the system.  I had another external speaker that works on another machine - but not this computer.

Can someone help resolve the sound issue?  Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.