Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Wave
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since an HP BIOS update (82FD v F.61) two days ago, "an audio output device is not detected". I've tried all the help advice but couldn't reset the BIOS update and resetting Windows hasn't solved it. There is no sound device showing up in device manager.

Anyone had to fix this and can help me please? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just in case anyone comes across my post and wonders what happened to solve the issue, here is the fix which I found elsewhere on this forum:

clipboard_image_0.png

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

The same thing happened to me, I used system restore a few days ago when it fist happened. and that solved my problem, but Windows was insistent that I update my audio driver and now I have no good restore point (I think the issue is the driver update, not the bios update)

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. Just needed to know that I wouldn’t be wasting my time!

HP Recommended

I'm hoping that one of the experts like Paul_Tikkanen will notice this post. I spoke with HP and Microsoft and each one blamed the other and since I am out of warranty (frustrating as the computer is 1.5 years old) they wont dig deep at HP.

HP Recommended

**UPDATE**

This issue is a known bug according to the  Smartfriend HP tech support and his supervisor and is being worked on between Microsoft AND HP for a permanent fix.

They spent about an hour reinstalling the old driver, then they had to suspend the ability of Microsoft updates to update the audio driver.

I think it might be  worth your while to pay the 14.99 for a month of  Smartfriend support to get your sound back, then maybe see if you can get a refund as this is a "known  bug".

My case is being escalated as I had someone from customer care tell me yesterday that this was my fault as i was downloading corrupted files and that is f it was HP's fault more people than just me would be complaining about it.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Thanks for giving me some hope! I had a Microsoft whiz take over my PC for an hour yesterday but after he reinstalled the Realtek driver a few times, he hung up without saying goodbye!

i then spent a few more hours reinstalling Windows and achieved absolutely nothing except earache from my wife about my nearly new PC breaking quicker than the old one!

With no sound card showing in Device Manager I was contemplating taking a screwdriver to the PC this weekend, but I’ll follow your advice instead!

Thank again.

HP Recommended

Just in case anyone comes across my post and wonders what happened to solve the issue, here is the fix which I found elsewhere on this forum:

clipboard_image_0.png

HP Recommended

Well, shoot! I lost my "audio output device" 2 days ago and have been searching for a solution. (Envy All-in-One 27-B235T, Win10 64 bit, BIOS F.50)

I was hoping this would work but I don't have Smart Sound Technology listed under System Devices!

My computer is only a year old!!

HP Recommended

FIXED!! So simple?

I looked under Audio inputs and outputs under Device Manager and reinstalled the Realtek High Def Audio drivers from my computer!

HP Recommended

Thanks for this note. Without this help, I'd have been totally lost, but in the end, about as simple a fix as you can get

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.