Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Wave 600a130na
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

The sound on  my new desktop works well (built-in speakers), but when a microphone is plugged in the sound cuts out. 

I have tried an alternative microphone, I have tried 4-pin instead of 3-pin jacks, to no avail.

I have tried the Troubleshooter, updating the driver, also no effect.

On the "Settings - Sound - Recording" screen, the microphone is not recognised.

What to do next, please?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@peterwb,

Thank you for joining HP Forums.

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand, sound does not work when the microphone is connected.

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

Are you using Headphone plus microphone or just a Microphone?

Have you set the default audio device?

If not, I suggest you set the default audio device,

I would suggest you try disabling virtual 7.1 audio from headphones properties. 

Right click on Speakers icon on the Taskbar > Select Playback Devices > Right click on headphone or speakers and select properties. Disable virtual 7.1 audio from the properties. 

If the issue persists, let's try these steps: 

Use the troubleshooting tool in Windows

The audio troubleshooting tool in Windows can automatically fix common audio recording and audio playback problems with your computer.

Run the troubleshooting tool using the following steps:

1. In Windows, type find and fix audio into Search, or right-click the speaker icon  in the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
  2. Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.
  3. Click Next.
  4. Select the device you want to troubleshoot and click Next.
  5. Wait while the troubleshooter detects problems and makes changes (or prompts you to make changes).

Figure: Detecting problems

6. When the troubleshooter is done, the Troubleshooting has completed page is displayed, listing any problems found and what changes were made to the computer.

NOTE: For detailed information about the troubleshooting, click View detailed information in the troubleshooter window.

Click Close.

Figure: Troubleshooting completed

7. If a recommended action is displayed, select Apply this fix, or Skip this step to continue to search for other problems.

If the audio problem has not been resolved, continue to the next step.

Updating the audio driver using Device Manager

Make sure the audio device is enabled and then update the audio driver using Device Manager as follows:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.
  3. If a sound device is listed with a down arrow , the device is disabled. Right-click the sound device name and select Enable to re-enable the device.

Figure: Enabling a disabled sound device

4. With the sound device enabled, right-click the sound device and select Update Driver Software.

Figure: Update Driver Software selection in Device Manager

5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Figure: How do you want to search for driver software

6. Windows checks for and installs any updated drivers found. The window displays whether the computer already has the latest available driver or if Windows was able to successfully update the audio driver.

Figure: The best driver is already installed

7. If a window opens asking you to restart the computer, restart the computer.
  8. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after updating the driver, continue to the next step.

If you completed these steps and the latest driver was already installed, use the following steps to uninstall and then reinstall the driver:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.

3. Right-click the sound device and select Uninstall.

Figure: Uninstall driver

4. Restart the computer to reinstall the driver.

5. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, continue to the next step.

Keep me posted, 

Have a great day 🙂

Cheers!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.