Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a new pair of earphones for my HP Pavilion x360. However, when they are plugged in, sound still plays from the computer speakers rather than the earphones. I have searched for solutions to this issue and have tried cleaning the port, and right-clicking on the sound icon to enable and disable sound devices, but the device isn't showing up and isn't sensing being plugged in. 

It is definitely a problem with the laptop because the earphones work on my iPhone, Nintendo Switch and a friend's laptop.

Could anyone help me find a way to solve this?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I suspect the new earphones have a jack that is not compatible with the audio jack on the laptop.  This can happen due to older equipment trying to interface with newer equipment, etc.  The fact that it works OK with other equipment would tend to

re-enforce that notion.  If the new earphones also have a microphone, that will complicate the interface because the mic needs an additional ring on the jack.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the insight. I’m pretty sure my earphones might have a microphone, they have a little bar with volume control and a button to answer incoming calls. There’s a small hole next to that which I’m guessing is a microphone then?

The earphone jack has three rings, so does it therefore need a different port? When purchasing them, I just looked for a 3.5 mm jack as that was what my laptop port was compatible with. The earphones didn’t advertise as having a microphone and I just bought them because they were affordable and looked nice. I’ve seen some headphone jack to USB transformer ports online, should I look into getting one of those?

HP Recommended

In answer to the USB adapter question - that solution might work, but the same situation will exist in that the correct matching headphones for the adapter has to be met.  Also, attaching headphones in that method will probably not mute the internal speakers.

Before buying anything else, try headphones that your friends might have to see if they work on your laptop.  Unless you can go to an actual store and try out what might work.  Some of the sales staff might be knowledgeable enough to get you where you need to go.

And there is also the possibility that the headphone jack on the laptop is defective or there might be more than one.  Some of the older units had a separate jack for the headphones and microphone, so check that out also. 

There are many models in the HP Pavilion x360 line.  If you would post the complete model number,  perhaps some clarity on the situation can be reached.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.