Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For the past couple of weeks every time I receive an e-mail my PC makes a sound.  It was driving me mad so I went through my PC and turned off notifications for Outlook, the Windows 10 E-Mail App, Autoplay, Cortana and the System Sounds options.  This made no difference so I unplugged the speakers and disabled them but still the sound came through.  After further investigation I discovered it was only making this sound with one of my four e-mail addresses - its a live.co.uk one and the other three are outlook.com.  3 days ago I spent almost 3 hours on the phone with Microsoft who went through my PC to make sure I had switched off every possible cause and I had.  The noise is even audible when the PC is in sleep mode!  The only time I don't hear it is if I have TV or music on in the background in another window.  Whilst on the phone to Microsoft the noise eventually stopped and it has been fine for 3 days until this morning it is back again.  The file is Windows Notify Email which I have tried to delete and rename but it seems I don't have permission despite being the only person who uses this PC and I have administrator rights.  I have tried to go into Device Manager and Non-Plug & Play Devices but the Non-Plug & Play Devices option is not showing even though I've ticked the Show Hidden devices option.

Any ideas gratefully received as this is driving me mad.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

I guess MS has covered this already...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23382-turn-off-notifications-mail-app-windows-10-a.html

The file appears to be a wav file of 1 second duration in Windows Media.

Am I close?

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your reply.  Yes, that is the file which is causing the problem.  As stated in my original message all possible sounds and notifications are already turned off and I originally used that link to locate them all.  This is only happening with one of my four e-mail accounts and all the settings for that account are IDENTICAL to the others.  Microsoft have been through my computer with me to make sure all the relevant settings are correct.  The sound is coming from the tower NOT the speakers and I can't even delete the .wav file.  It has only been doing this for a couple of weeks, prior to that it's been fine for 2½ years!

HP Recommended

Hi

First off you need to be a trusted installer, like Microsoft, so they can change it.

Mine is a laptop and no onboard speaker, desktops sometimes do.

It plays thru (in my case Groove Music) I changed it to VLC.

Of course if you are a Devious Installer you can rename it, so Microsoft are not being fair with you.

-rwxrwxrwx 3 root root 161876 Mar 19 2019 WidowsNotifyEmaid.wav
-rwxrwxrwx 3 root root 213624 Mar 19 2019 Windows Background.wav
-rwxrwxrwx 3 root root 178220 Mar 19 2019 Windows Balloon.wav

I will not tell you publicly HOW2 do this of course, forum rules etc etc.

HP Recommended

Hi Lil_Boy_Blue, thanks very much for your reply.  I googled that solution (not tried it yet).  Oddly, I was logged in yesterday for about 14 hours and didn't hear the sound once and nor have I this morning (so far anyway lol).  If it starts again I'll try that solution you recommended 🙂

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Prego.

Sorta Solved.

HP Recommended

Hi again,

Nope not solved at all!  The sound has been back for two days.  I replied back to a very helpful (not) Microsoft who asked if the problem was resolved and I said no because the sound was back and their response was to close my case!  I have to ring them again this morning.

HP Recommended

Hi

Would you like  PM on what I did to rename my file?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.