Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
p6-2270ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently noticed there was no sound when using my desktop and when I clicked on the sound icon (bottom right) was told no speakers were connected. I checked all the connections between the tower and the monitor but nothing obvious was disconnected. There are built-in speakers on my HP 2009v monitor so I couldn't figure out what was going on. The monitor is connected to the desktop, although it doesn't show as existing on the HP Support assistant.

After a lot of searching on websites and downloading updates from microsoft and HP  I found advice on your forum to download software updates on Windows 8.x. Did this and now my headphones work but the built-in speakers still don't work. Help please!

The monitor has it's own set of controls and menu and I get the impression that something there may not sit well with Windows 10 - when I've tried to use the Auto function and the menu on the monitor all sound has previously disappeared (I got as far as sound in the headphones previuosly).  I'm not touching that set of controls now, in case I go back to no sound at all!

Any detailed suggestions please? - I don't know lots about computers so I'm a bit intimidated by things like opening in safe mode etc

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if installing this W10 IDT audio driver gets the sound to work again.

Install and restart the PC.

This package provides the IDT Tempo High Definition Audio Driver for supported desktop models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp71717.exe

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if installing this W10 IDT audio driver gets the sound to work again.

Install and restart the PC.

This package provides the IDT Tempo High Definition Audio Driver for supported desktop models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp71717.exe

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion, which I've tried, but now there is no sound at all. AArgh!!

I've checked the headphones and right clicked the sounds Icon - now it shows Speaker/Headphones IDT High Definition Audio CODEC not plugged in, even when my headphone jack is in the tower.

So ...what happens now?!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

See if this works...

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device category.

1. Select IDT High Definition Audio CODEC under that category.

2. Select Driver tab.

3. Click Update Driver... button.

4. Select  -> Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select  High Definition Audio Device (Not  IDT High Def...  this is important.) and click Next.

A warning message may appear,  but click Yes.

7. Windows has successfully update your driver software.

8. Restart the PC.

The key is step 6.

HP Recommended

Ok, done all of that and now I'm back to having sound through headphones on the tower but no sound through the speakers built in to the monitor. There definately was sound via the speakers in the monitor befor I updated to Windows 10.

Is there a problem possibly with the monitor? It's an older monitor so maybe it doesn't work with Windows 10?  Any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Sorry that nothing is working for you.

I highly doubt it is the monitor speakers that are at fault.

Sometimes the W8.1 IDT audio driver will work on W10.  See if this one works instead...Install and restart the PC.

This package provides the driver for the IDT High Definition Audio solutions in supported models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp63932.exe

HP Recommended

Thanks again, but still no luck.

On-screen message 'Your system doesn't meet operating system requirements. Update cancelled. (9998)

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't.

I'm really surprised that first driver I posted didn't do the trick.

HP Recommended

Oh dear.

If anything else occurs to you let me know - I still think there may be something specific to the monitor. I'll look again when I have more time - using my iphone earphones at the moment.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.