Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Laptop 14-ce0507na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've just refreshed software on an older laptop, and when configuring I was careful to choose the option NOT to send usage data to HP during the setup. Now, when I clicked the audio driver icon in the system tray for the first time, I had a warning pop up saying that data was being sent to HP. This security position was against the option I chose during install, and this time it didn't even have a 'no thank you' option to select.

How do I permanently turn this spyware off?

I have seen a 2-year-old thread here saying that the only way to do this is to uninstall the audio driver, but I assume that this has been resolved properly by now. Is there an updated driver that is known to be 'clean', and since HP is being a bit dodgy about this, is there a way to confirm that it no longer sending data? 

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello
strange whether related to the audio driver

Specify, what you downloaded and then installed

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hello @Reality_Cheque 

There are software like BYOB among others that collect information to improve their products or services, this is also done by Microsoft with Windows.....

I am proudly Mexican, a Computer Systems Engineer and a community volunteer.
If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

HP Recommended

Hi Guys, and thanks for the response!
It was a Win 10 refresh, and I just installed Chrome. That was it, and this certainly isn't Chrome-related. 

It appears to be the same problem as this...
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Audio/Turn-HP-data-collection-of/m-p/6445911#M57815

HP Recommended

@Reality_Cheque .

What you could do is uninstall the Hp audio driver, then go to Windows update to find a suitable audio driver for your computer and install it.

If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

HP Recommended

That sounds like the right approach. The only reservation I have is that as HP has been so sly with this, I would really like to confirm that the unwanted spyware issue it truly cured. Short of running something like Wireshark, is there way of confirming that it has stopped 'phoning home'? Are any other HP drivers or Apps known to hold trojans like this.

HP Recommended

@Reality_Cheque .

They don't actually contain any spyware or Trojans with a backdoor to access more of the user's data other than what is stated in the privacy policy, so that's the programming design they have given the software with limits for them to avoid problems as well, so they won't see what you do on your computer.
Greetings!

HP Recommended

You did not answer my question exactly
because you say you have reinstalled windows, 10
what did you install next?
another driver version is possible
I have no such problem, for my part

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Doing some further reading, and that may not be the solution after all. It seems that someone has already trodden this path and Windows Update may be complicit. From another thread, sadly with no resolution...

"I've done another reformat to see when this junk gets installed. Windows Update does install:

• HP Audio Control

• HP System Information"

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-keeps-reinstalling-spyware-Chrome-extension-chan...

A wider Google search isn't helping with this so far. Can't believe that this hasn't been picked up on.

Oh, and I called it a trojan because it carried out activities unrelated to its presentation as an Audio Driver or switcher rather than it being able to remote control, but happy to call it something else. Either way, it's not wanted and needs to go.

HP Recommended

Sorry, Windows 10 was re-installed, along with Chrome and VLC. That's it.

The problem definitely seems to be either the audio driver or the "HP Audio Switch" widget, and it was right-clicking on this in the tray for the first time that brought up the declaration that it was phoning home. I don't know how to provoke it to do this again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.