Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey everyone,

Whatever Microphone I connect to my PC, it's just alot of background buzz, can't even hear my own voice. This happened out of nowhere, I connected different microphones, used built-in troubleshooter, reinstalled the drivers, but no luck. Is there any fix for this issue? I adjusted the microphone's volume, boost etc. Assistance would be appreciated.

Microphone's sample 

PC Info : 

HP Workstation Z420 Base model.

Windows 10 64 Bit.

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver.

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

A standard, unbalanced microphone input has 2 pins - a signal pin, and a ground pin. The noise I'm hearing in the mp3 file is when the signal wire is being shorted to ground. (P.S. I am a semi-pro audio engineer and I have heard this noise many, many times when removing or inserting cables, microphones, etc.). Because the signal line is being grounded, it's impossible to hear any signal from the microphone, even if a high voltage audio signal is plugged in, (e.g. guitar amp, or musical keyboard).

I assume you are plugging the microphone directly into the socket and not using any adapters or extension lead? If you are not hearing the buzzing sound when the mic socket is empty, then it is indicating a fault with the socket itself. If you have a spare/old cable with a 3.5mm mono plug, then remove the plug, snipping the cable as close to the plug as possible. Then try inserting the plug into the microphone socket and let me know if you are still hearing the buzzing sound?

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

Hi, I'm using the microphone without any adapters or extension leads. The noise goes away when I remove the microphone, but comes back when I connect it to my PC. This happens to both sides of the ports, the back one and the front one. No matter where I connect it to, it just comes back as soon as I connect my microphone. I'm not sure how both of the ports are faulty, I think there might be an issue with wiring somewhere in my PC? Awaiting your reply, thanks for the assistance!

HP Recommended

Just to clarify?

1) You are using a microphone with a standard mono 3.5mm plug on it.

2) You are plugging the microphone into either the bottom 3.5mm socket on the front of the computer, or the pink 3.5mm socket on the rear of the computer. - Noise in both scenarios.

I would try removing and re-seating the connector on the motherboard that connects to the front audio sockets. You could also try testing the rear socket with this plug removed from the motherboard (in case the fault is with the front sockets only). Audio plug is highlighted in the below image. (It may take a few minutes for the image to appear).

Power off the computer before removing or inserting plugs onto the motherboard.

Z420 schematic.JPG

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. I am indeed using the 3.5mm standard mono plug. 
I tried both of the input Microphone ports, 1 on the front, 1 on the back (the pink one.)
I'll re-plug the cables properly you've mentioned and then reply back whether the issue has been resolved or not.

HP Recommended

Opened up my PC, did everything as you mentioned above, still the same issue. What should I try next?

HP Recommended

If you have a 3 pin mains plug on your computer, then I would quickly check that the earth wire is connected. If you have a sealed mains plug then this shouldn't be an issue. On older screw terminal mains plugs there is a possiblility of the earth wire becoming loose and this could result in the offending buzz/hum on the mic line. Because I use my system for music production (amongst other things), I do not use the onboard RealTek audio, and instead opted for a professional USB audio interface, (24bit/96kHz, 8 audio inputs, 8 audio outputs and MIDI). I'm anticipating that you do not require this level of audio fidelity for your use. There is clearly some sort of electrical fault in your system if you are unable to eliminate the buzzing. If this fault is at the component level on the motherboard then this may be virtually impossible to trace and repair. I would recommend you consider cutting your losses and buy a cheap USB (or PCI) audio interface. For basic Skype, Zoom, MS Teams use, you can get these for less than £5 on eBay or Amazon, etc.

HP Recommended

I was using the microphone mainly for making videos on Youtube, and voice calling. I'll take it to a professional person and get the job done, instead of fiddling with it myself, as I'm not a hardware expert, thank you for the tip, I'll get it checked as soon and possible and reach back to you!

HP Recommended

Please take a look at the attached images below, I'm not a hardware professional so I can't understand the wiring system. 

Spoiler
WiresWiresBack portBack port
HP Recommended

Unless you know someone with a bit more electrical knowledge who could look at your computer for you, then I would recommend you disable the onboard audio in the BIOS and go for a cheap USB or PCIe audio interface card. It's probably your cheapest and quickest option. Unfortunately, it's impossible to diagnose the fault to component level unless your actually sitting in front of the machine, and have the necessary skills and tools at hand.

With regards to the images you posted, the top cable in the 1st image is the cable going to the front audio sockets. In the 2nd image, this is the cable to the rear chassis fans.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.