Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavillion hpe-510t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In the Sound Playback window the AMD HDMI output is the only playback device option and shows it is enabled but not plugged in.  The speaker in the task bar has red X.  I run the trouble shooter and says no headphones are plugged in.  I have tried different ones so I don't think they are faulty.  This all happened since I reinstalled Window 10 for other issues.  They were solved but later noticed I had lost my audio.  I also had some Polk Audio speakers plugged in the back and lost those too.  Have tried all the trouble shooting suggestions without success.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi RE08817,

Checking your unit, I believe that it was originally released with MS Win7, then later there was an option to upgrade to Win8.  However, I do not see any HP supported Win10 drivers for audio.  This is the likely reason why no 'automatic' driver download has occured, leaving you with no audio.

Your system features 'Integrated IDT 92HD89E Audio', as per the specifications on hp.com.  I found the following solution in HP Support Forums that should help:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/IDT-Driver-Windows-10/td-p/5169...

Copy and paste this link into your browser.

I'm hoping that this will be of assistance.

Let me know if this fixes the problem.

Regards, davida_spac

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own.

regards davida
"Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi RE08817,

Sometimes a re-instalation of Windows can muckup pre-existing settings.

If you have not already tried the following, it may assist...

right click your speaker icon and select 'playback devices'

unplug your polk speakers

disable the playback device(s) that is not greyed out

select the appropriate playback device, right click it and you should be able to enable it or make it the 'default' device.

if there is no other option at this stage, try a reboot.

there are other switches you can try, like 'show disabled devices' that can also help.

Hope this assists.

regards davida
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have tried everything suggested except the reboot and obviously that will be my last option.  Was hoping there was an option rather than reboot.  Ugh.

REO8817

HP Recommended

Hi RE08817,

If not already resolved, my other suggestion is to plug in your Polk speakers (ensure, if they are powered, that they are pllugged into a power socket, and that they are turned on and the volume is on at least quarter way) and try the steps above again, only this time click on 'test' - see if you can hear the 'bing!' sound.  If you get there your issue should be half-way resolved, and at the same time you will have ascertained that you do not have a hw issue.

Then start playing with the controls again for your TV.  One thing I have noticed myself in a similar situation, is that sometimes it's best to turn off the PC, un-plug and re-plug in the hdmi into the TV and turn the PC back on.  Then go back to 'playback devices' and try the above-mentioned steps again.

Hope this helps.

regards davida
HP Recommended

Thank you for that feedback, but I guess I was not clear enough on my issue?  The AMD HDMI Output is the only device listed on the audio Sound popup as the playback device for the computer audio.  Pops up when I right click the speaker in the task bar and select Playback devices.  I have no connection to my TV so it seems strange that the only playback device to pick from is an AMD HDMI Output playback device?  Seems like there should be other choices as I have seen in some of the trouble shooting routines?

HP Recommended

Hi RE08817,

Thanks for the additional information - i get where you are at now...

My next suggestion is to delete the existing sound driver and re-boot.  What will happen is that the PC will re-install the native (original) driver it had when it was brand new - I'm assuming that you are using the HP supplied Operating System (Win 10) here....

What you do is:

tap on the windows key (between ctrt and alt keys) and type in 'device manager', the top suggestion will be 'device manager' and it will be highlighted > press enter

you'll now be in device manager

you'll see a long list of hardware...scroll down, you'll see 'soiund, video and game controllers' > click on the arrow to the left and now you will see all your drivers for sound

do you see 'realtec high definition audio'?  if so, right click it and you may find that you can enable the device or update the driver...

or...

you can uninstal the drivers there and re-boot - the PC will automatically 'plug and play' any drivers for existing hardware found upon the re-boot process (including sound drivers).

I do hope this fixes your issue...if not, i would strongly suggest getting in touch with HP's chat or call team, who might be able to be of even better assistance as they can (with your permission) work on your PC remotely.

Unfortunately this will be my last post until after Easter as my office is closing.  However, next week I'll be back and will followup on this post to see if your issue is resolved.

Best of luck, and if you celebrate Easter, have a good one.

regards, davida_spac

regards davida
HP Recommended

Hi davida,

I finally did a PC Reset and reloaded Windows 10.  No luck, same situation, no audio.

HP Recommended

Hi RE08817,

Checking your unit, I believe that it was originally released with MS Win7, then later there was an option to upgrade to Win8.  However, I do not see any HP supported Win10 drivers for audio.  This is the likely reason why no 'automatic' driver download has occured, leaving you with no audio.

Your system features 'Integrated IDT 92HD89E Audio', as per the specifications on hp.com.  I found the following solution in HP Support Forums that should help:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/IDT-Driver-Windows-10/td-p/5169...

Copy and paste this link into your browser.

I'm hoping that this will be of assistance.

Let me know if this fixes the problem.

Regards, davida_spac

regards davida
HP Recommended

davida

Wow, that worked.  Thank you very much.  

reo8817

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.