Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
p7-1299cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have a desktop that used to run windows 7, and finally decided to update to windows 10.  Update had not problems, however I have no sound.  I tried to update the driver via windows update and HP support assistant, both failed to recognize the problem

under windows update, i get the following msg:  IDT - Audio Device - IDT High Definition Audio CODEC - Error 0x8007001f

please any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The product specs page indicates that your PC came with W7 64 bit.

I can tell you that there is no W10 32 bit audio driver.

If you inadvertently posted the wrong bit version, see if this W10 64 bit IDT audio driver works...

This package provides the IDT Tempo High Definition Audio Driver for supported desktop models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp71717.exe

If not, there is a workaround that you can try to at least get the sound to work...

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device category.

1. Select IDT High Definition Audio CODEC under that category.

2. Select Driver tab.

3. Click Update Driver... button.

4. Select  -> Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select  High Definition Audio Device (Not  IDT High Def...  this is important.) and click Next.

A warning message may appear,  but click Yes.

7. Windows has successfully update your driver software.

8. Restart the PC.

The key is step 6.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

One thing i forgot to note:  this desktop uses beats audio

HP Recommended

Hi:

The product specs page indicates that your PC came with W7 64 bit.

I can tell you that there is no W10 32 bit audio driver.

If you inadvertently posted the wrong bit version, see if this W10 64 bit IDT audio driver works...

This package provides the IDT Tempo High Definition Audio Driver for supported desktop models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp71717.exe

If not, there is a workaround that you can try to at least get the sound to work...

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device category.

1. Select IDT High Definition Audio CODEC under that category.

2. Select Driver tab.

3. Click Update Driver... button.

4. Select  -> Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select  High Definition Audio Device (Not  IDT High Def...  this is important.) and click Next.

A warning message may appear,  but click Yes.

7. Windows has successfully update your driver software.

8. Restart the PC.

The key is step 6.

HP Recommended

The sp file you attached worked.  THANK YOU!!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  My original software was Windows 7, upgraded to W8.  I have an HP Smart Touch 610-1280qd.

I called the Microsoft help desk and had no success so I restored W8.  Will your solution work for me?  If so, should I update the sound driver before installing W10?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi, @Bisset

I don't believe it will.

I gave that file to another forum member with an all in one PC and it didn't work.

Not the same model as yours, but I imagine it has a similar IDT audio chip.

You could try the workaround I posted and see if that works though.

As long as you have a way to always revert to W7/W8 I suppose you can experiment either way.

I don't believe the audio driver will work on W8 but I have no idea of knowing for sure.

HP Recommended

File name: sp71717.exe ?

Please link the orginal webpage for download. 

Thanks

All my posts are my opinion.
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't remember what model PC I got it from, and it would be too much work for me to search for it again.

Here is the HP link to the driver information page for that file.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71717.html

It lists the model series supported by the driver, but I have given that driver to many folks with other recent model HP desktop PC's with the IDT audio chip, that are not listed on the below page, and it worked for those models too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.