Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
DC7900 Small Form Factor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently installed Windows 10 x64 on an HP DC7900. It was previously running Windows 7. Since the OS switch, there is no longer any audio output. There are no external speakers. The device's internal speaker is not functioning. Windows reports "no speakers or headphones are plugged in" which is technically true, but not really a surprise since I am attempting to use the internal speaker. The audio troubleshooting utility also just return the "not plugged in" message. 

ALREADY TRIED THE FOLLOWING:

1. Uninstalled and reinstalled the device from the machine. Not successful. 

2. Downloaded and installed the latest Realtek HD Audio driver for Win 10 x64. Not successful. 

3. Looked on these forums and saw some similar posts that were resolved by installing an Intel MEI/SOL chipset update.

Noticed that HP does not offer any Windows 10 drivers for this machine.

Downloaded Intel's chipset device software and attempted to install it. Install failed on both attempts.

Wept softly.

4. Gave up and decided to write this post even though I suspect there's no Win 10 version of the solution I need.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The dc7900 does not use the Realtek audio driver.

You need to install the W7 Soundmax audio driver from your PC's support and driver page, then restart the PC.

I have a dc7900 SFF, and W10 works just fine with it, with the internal speaker, or by plugging in a set of external speakers.

You will need to go into the control panel>hardware and sound>manage audio devices, and set the speakers as the default after you restart the PC if you still have no sound in windows.

I also have a dc7800 CMT which uses the same audio driver as the dc7900 and W10 works fine on that model too.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The dc7900 does not use the Realtek audio driver.

You need to install the W7 Soundmax audio driver from your PC's support and driver page, then restart the PC.

I have a dc7900 SFF, and W10 works just fine with it, with the internal speaker, or by plugging in a set of external speakers.

You will need to go into the control panel>hardware and sound>manage audio devices, and set the speakers as the default after you restart the PC if you still have no sound in windows.

I also have a dc7800 CMT which uses the same audio driver as the dc7900 and W10 works fine on that model too.

HP Recommended

This was successful. Thank you!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.