Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 25L Desktop PC GT12-0000i (ID 7WM96AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was trying to reinstall windows via usb and then this screen came up saying Boot device not found 3F0. I then went on youtube and it said to enable legacy support in bios. I tried to go in bios but it brought me to Omen Setup utility by spamming F10 (Where the legacy support is not). So i have 2 questions

1. What is the main fix to the boot device issue

2. How do i get into the bios instead of Omen setup utility

IMG_5693.jpeg

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @danielsdanimals,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Let's address your issues one by one.

Fixing the Boot Device Not Found Issue

The "Boot device not found" (3F0) error typically means that your system can't find a drive with a valid operating system to boot from. Here are the steps to resolve this.

Check BIOS Settings

• Enter BIOS: You may need to ensure that your BIOS settings are configured correctly to recognize the USB drive. Commonly, pressing F10, F2, F12, Del, or Esc immediately when powering on the PC should get you into the BIOS/UEFI settings. Since you mentioned you ended up in the Omen Setup Utility, it seems like you are in the right place, but let's try to make sure we navigate correctly.
  • Boot Order: Ensure that your USB drive is set as the first boot device. Look for a "Boot" or "Boot Order" menu in the BIOS/UEFI.
  • Disable Secure Boot: Secure Boot can sometimes prevent the system from booting from a USB. This setting is usually found under "Security" or "Boot" menus in the BIOS/UEFI.
  • Enable Legacy Support: If you're booting from a legacy USB device, you might need to enable Legacy Support (often found under "Advanced" or "Boot" menus).

Verify the USB Drive

• Check USB: Make sure your USB drive is properly prepared with a bootable version of Windows. You can use tools like the Windows Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB drive.
  • Test on Another PC: Check if the USB drive boots on another computer to ensure it's not a problem with the USB drive itself.

Re-seat or Check the Internal Drive

• Check Connections: Ensure that the internal drive is properly connected. You might want to open up your desktop and check the SATA cables.
  • Run Diagnostics: Some BIOS/UEFI setups have built-in diagnostics tools. Run these to check for any hardware issues.

Accessing BIOS Instead of Omen Setup Utility

The Omen Setup Utility should be essentially your BIOS/UEFI interface, but it might have a custom layout. Here are some steps to navigate and find the options you need:

Spamming F10: Typically, F10 should get you into the BIOS setup utility for HP systems. If it's not taking you where you need to go, try these additional steps:

• Try Different Keys: Besides F10, try pressing Esc, F2, F12, or Del immediately after turning on the system. One of these might take you to a different BIOS interface.

Navigating Omen Setup Utility: Once in the Omen Setup Utility:

• Look for tabs like "Boot", "Security", or "Advanced".
  • Under the "Boot" tab, set the USB drive as the primary boot device.
  • Under the "Security" tab, you may find options to disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Support.
  • Save changes and exit.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.