Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
27-a240se
Hi guys, I replaced the motherboard on my 27-a240se and when plugging the power I get the power button blinking 7 times and then a pause. I searched in the troubleshooting guide but could not find what 7 blinks mean, I do not hear beeps. The blinks appear to be the same length in time to me.
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Replying to myself:

I have found on the internet other people talking about 7 blinks but only on the case of laptops.

Many speak of a BIOS reflash being required but how can that be done if the PC does not power up at all? No fan or screen flash or anything; the power button keeps flashing in the pattern even if I press it. 

Do I require to take out the BIOS chip and get it reflashed/replaced?

HP Recommended

Sounds weird, but I have come across this before: Do you have a BOE branded panel? If you do, the BIOS only supports this brand after a certain version (can't remember which).

What you need to do then (painful as it is) is either put the mainboard in a unit with a samsung or LG panel and update the BIOS to the latest version, or (I think from memory) if you can use backlight cable from a Samsung and pull plastic locking tabs off the side of the connector, it'll fit in the BOE panel and work long enough for you to update the BIOS, then put the proper BOE backlight cable back in.

Sorry, it's probably not a helpful solution, but it's what I've had to do in the past.

HP Recommended

Thanks Hibb,

So if I understand correctly, I have to plug the motherboard to the backlight of a Samsung/lg panel, update the bios by looking at the piggybacked display and replug everything? 

HP Recommended

That's correct - But only if you have a BOE panel. If you already have a Samsung or LG, then your issue will be different. It could be a faulty LVDS connector on the mainboard, or a faulty back light connector. I seen it once when it was a BOE and the BIOS update did not fix it. That one needed a 3rd mainboard replacement.

Unfortunately you'll need to take the entire metal backing off to see the brand of the panel. You could probs ID it from the backlight connector, but I don't have one handy to reference.

Do you know how to get the metal back plate off? I can give you instructions. You DON'T need to take off the mainboard, HDD etc..

HP Recommended

Hi Hibb, 

I removed the cover and the panel has a sticker stating it's from AU Optronics. Could this be that same issue?

IMG_20191125_193050__01.jpg

IMG_20191125_194630__01.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.