Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy Phoenix Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a problem where I get 3 long beeps and 2 short beeps upon power on the case.  The post code prevents the system from booting up.

My guess is memory, however if I pull 2 sticks of 4 installed, it won't post either.  Any combination of two dimms won't work either.  I was thinking this system required 4 sticks of ddr4, but the z170 chipset from what I can tell is dual channel and therefore can only use 2 sticks if required.

What does this mean?

Model: 860-180st

Motherboard: HP IPM17-TP

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

There are plently of 1151 motherboards with the Z170 chipset on the market that use DDR4 memory. So, that is not the issue especially since your PC once worked with the existing dimms (unless you changed them).

Three long beeps followed by two short beeps is a memory initialization error.

Remove all dimms except for one in the right most blue dimm socket. Now clear the CMOS and see if you get past post. If no joy, then repeat the process with each of the remaining dimms.

It would be hard to believe that all four dimms have failed.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.