Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z200 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I picked up some new RAM for my HP z200 workstation. I think now probably the wrong type - 4 x 4GB DDR3 - 1866. The existing RAM was PC3L 10600E. It looked identical and fit into the slot without issue but when I booted up I just got 5 beeps from the speaker with the powerlight flashing red along with the beeps.

This apparently suggets a RAM issue.

I tried putting the original RAM back in it's place. Still 5 beeps.

Pulled the drives, graphics card, all RAM, PCI wifi card. Still 5 beeps.

I've tried removing the CMOS battery, leaving power off for an hour and holding down power button to clear power from motherboard. Still 5 beeps.

I've tried holding down the CMOS reset button with power pulled. Still 5 beeps.

I've tried reseating the CPU, I've tried swapping the CPU with the CPU I took out when I upgraded. Still 5 beeps.

The only thing that's got me a different result was starting with no CPU which gave 3 beeps which indicates a CPU issue as one might expect.

In all those cases, the fans come on but no output to screen.

The machine is quite old but otherwise was perfect for me so I'm hoping there is something else I've missed. I notice on the motherboard diagram printed on the case there is a 'crisis recovery jumper' marked up but I can't find much about that.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance! Any advice is appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

does your pC have PCI-e grapics card in that slot/? if yes what ?\

myguess no card, using intel VGA port on rear if mobo. 

it will not run lacking  a card and  some card need aux power jack connected or will be dead,crash or beep 5 times.

what processor do you run/? xeon, core i3./e5 or

• ntel Pentium G6950 2.80 GHz, 73 W, 3MB cache, 1066 memory, Dual-Core
  • Intel Celeron G1101 2.26 GHz, 73 W, 2MB cache, 1066 memory, Dual-Core

did you look up 5 beeps in the  service manual for z200,   ( have z600)so  know it well,, and beep codes vary by year and model

so knowing that we look up yours (im retired,not HP)

with CPU preset and good 3vdc coin cell, below 2.9v is NO GOOD

run only  1 stick of ram,  in he bank zero socket,  the  service manual tells you what socke that is. 

test the ram 1 by 1,,  did this PC ever work for you ever, or bought dead>? History matters,so does lightening hits.

my xw works station is 5 beeps means the video ram is dead,  or the main memory ,on  PC with no video card they are one in the same. what RAM DDR is this now,   did it ever work right this RAM?

my z600

HP changes beeps codes by phases of moon.

here is another.

The system board displays a power failure (crowbar) 2016

z200 has a vast  pool of books  at HP.com which one read, of 20+ is a wonder.

so I open the biggest  one. oops no post codes there, no blink , no  beeps covers.

so digging deeper.. had to google deep inside hp.com to find it HP zillion dead links from  major  server changes, endless.

the GPU list is here, which do you run?

• Intel HD Graphics  ( to rear vga port , called on board, video.
Professional 2D  (add in boards below)
  • NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 256MB PCIe Graphics Card
Entry 3D
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 380 256MB PCIeGraphics Card
  • ATI FirePro V3700 256MB PCIe Graphics Card
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 512MB PCIe Graphics Card
Mid-range 3D
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 768MB PCIe Graphics Card
  • ATI FirePro V5700 512MB PCIe Graphics Card

this is what I learned

my answer is  the BIOS does not like your RAM.

no ram DDR spec, stated and matters big time for  beep 5.

for sure.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/668245/Hp-Z200.html?page=176#manual

there is your service manual for free

Pre-video memory error

the intel HD vidoe core in the processor needs ram DDR  to run he engine and does not like yours.

or running wrong CPU. (not certified for this mobo

to run newer processors,  yours is 2009 mobo

you need to  upgrade the BIOS.  to gain  broader list of CPU and even DDR, DDR with higher density chips can fail  on old mobo.  Most mobo this cold can not run all i3 ,i5,i7 processors made(CORE) only select set, by generation

this mobo began as GEN 0,core (gen zero)

so what ram do you have and what CPU>?

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

Processor is Xeon 3450 and the graphics card is a NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295.

RAM was 2x 4GB Elpida  2Rx8 PC3-10600E-9-10-E3.

It all worked perfectly. I swapped the ram for 4 x 4GB Crucial PC3-14900R DDR3 - 1866 1.5v. This is when it went wrong and hasn't worked since. I have tried putting the original RAM back in place and still get the 5 beeps. I have tried 1 stick of ram in slot 1, I have tried 1 stick of ram in the second slot only. etc etc.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.