Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
dc7800
Linux

If I install a Broadcom BCM 95720A dual gigabit network adapter card into either of the PCI-e x1 slots on my dc7800 SFF, the power LED flashes continuously and there are 5 beeps which repeat 5 times and then stop. At this point the PSU fan speeds up to macimum speed and the system won't boot nor is there anything on the screen. I have tried removing all other option cards from the system but it's obviously the Broadcom NIC that's causing this. I've tried 3 different cards and both of the PCI-e x1 slots.

What is the cause of this and if the BCM 95720A is not supported in thsi system, what other dual gigabit NICs are comptaible with this system? (Note I can't use the PCI-e x16 slot since I normally have a graphics card in it).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Andy

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi

1 low profile PCI, 2 low profile PCI Express x1, 1 low profile PCI Express x16 (standard),

2 full-height PCI slots (available via optional riser card)

HP Recommended

Well this doesn't really answer my question of why the Broadcom PCI-e x1 network card doesn't work in this system.  Also, fitting the optional PCI riser kit means getting PCI bus adapters for my dc7800 SFF and I would then lose the PCI-e x16 slot which I use for graphics. But the Broadcom card works OK in a dc7900 SFF (and so do Intel quad port low profile NICs) so switching to one of these systems is my best option.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think the dc7800 SFF isn't the best choice for what I wanted to do whereas the dc 7900 SFF is.

Andy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.