Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
550-153W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought and hooked up a brand new 120 mm fan to the rear of my case, you see I have made some serious modification to my Hp turning installing i5 4690 16 GB ram and GTX 1070ti turning it into a full-fledged gaming PC, taking all its internals and transferring them to another case Deepcool Matrixx 30. Anyways when I hook up the 120 MM Noctua fan to the rear It throws this code  512 rear chassis fan not detected if I plug in the original HP 80 MM fan, it stops! What is different about this plug or wiring of this fan? Both fans are running so why does the 120 MM set off the error code?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

My guess may be lower RPMs at idle on the Noctua fan.

You may have to stick with a 80 mm fan.

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

My guess may be lower RPMs at idle on the Noctua fan.

You may have to stick with a 80 mm fan.

Regards

HP Recommended

Humm yes, of course, smaller fan so takes less time to complete a revolution!  The 120MM is 1700 rpm I have been running this computer for days and it's bouncing from 39c to 41c currently these temps are acceptable for the i5 CPU with the stock cooler that came with the i3 that used to be on this motherboard. The Coolermaster cooler and CPU fan seem to be doing the job for the 85w 4690 CPU that was on the upgrade list on this site. I have two other 120MM fans mounted upfront that are running on a Molex to 4pin controller so it's nice and cool in there and pretty quiet!  Oh well if I hit f1 I can bypass and boot up from my SSD so it's only a little bit annoying, I can live with it and the PC seems to be running great and I can play Fortnite on a full-sized 1070!! Thanks for the info though, I know now it's not worth worrying about after finding some software and checking some thermals in the new case! LOL  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.