Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 800 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Computer will not start.  When power cord is plugged in, PC beeps loudly 6 times, pauses 3 times and repeats.  Power button blinks RED 6 times the white 3 times.  Nothing else.  Replaced power supply, problem is still there.  

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

See the service manual at the link below, chapter 7, starting on page 114 for how to troubleshoot the beep/blink codes.

The thing is, I don't see any reference to 6 red blinks.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04832374

On the older model HP business desktops such as the 8200 Elite for example, 6 beeps 6 red flashing led meant the on board  video or video card has a problem.

HP Recommended

thanks.  I have seen the beep code chart you referred to, and there is nothing for 6 beeps or power button flashes as you point out.  Purchased the machine in Sept 2016, so don't think it would be a pre 2015 build, but its the only thing chart that shows 6 beeps.

Nothing else starts on the machine.  CPU fan does and power supply fan do not even start.  At a loss.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm at a loss too.

I guess you are going to have to call HP technical support and see what they say about it, because that troubleshooting code is not supposed to exist.

This is the old beep code chart...Appendix A.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01516072

HP Recommended

Thanks again.  I will be installing a video card later and hope that will solve this. 

HP Recommended

Anytime.

There may be one issue and that is since you can't get into the BIOS, enable legacy mode and disable secure boot, installing a video card that is not supported by HP for the 800 G2 model series may not work.

It's like a catch 22!

HP Recommended

Yes, I saw that in forums too.  😞 

I am hoping not to have the issue.  If I do, guess its time for a new computer, unless I can find a replacement motherboard.

HP Recommended

Purchased the video card and installed it.
No change.  😞
Guess its the motherboard.....

Thanks for being a sounding board on this!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that installing a video card didn't work.

Hopefully you will be able to find a used but tested and working motherboard on eBay.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.