Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
p2-1310
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product name and number: Desktop p2-1310

Error messages: None

New software installations: Win10 about a year ago

Steps:

1. Trying to dual boot Win10 and Ubuntu18.04.

2. Followed all of the on line suggestions, i.e.: disable fast boot and secure boot, move up USB to top in boot order, build USB with GPT and on p2-1310 using Rufus, enable USB ports(also tried disable USB ports), etc.

3. In all cases, the boot menu never shows the USB which has been used to load Ubuntu in other computers. In fact it doesn't show any of the USB ports or options, under UEFI it only shows the Windows option.  If I disable the Windows option, it says it can find a bootable drive.  Please help.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Running a Linux operating system on some HP PC's is not supported. A GPT (typical HP system configuration on newer systems) will not see an MBR boot disk.

The boot device options menu at system startup can be accessed by tapping "F9" at boot.

Regards

HP Recommended

Grzwacz, thanks for your reply. The bootable USB I'm using is GPT to match the p2-1310. I've tested it on another computer, Acer, and it works. I can get to the boot options menu by depressing F9, but the USB does not show up. All USB ports are enabled. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

You disabled Secure boot and enabled Legacy support in the BIOS (Link).

The USB stick works on a Acer PC.

Are you tapping "ESC" at boot and selecting "F9'?

The USB stick should appear as a bootable drive within the UEFI Boot Source menu.

I don't know what is happening if you don't see the USB device using this boot option.

Regards

The

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.