Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Slim 290-p0014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Slim 290-p0014 Desktop that is under a year old. From the get-go, I have had issues of it occasionally refusing to boot up unless I first unplug the power cable from the power supply for a few seconds, then plug it back in.

Over the past two weeks, I have had four incidents of random, abrupt shut off's, followed by the issue of it not booting up unless I unplug the power cable. This has happened before, but not in such quick succession.

I am getting quite frustrated and need a solution. I am having to save-spam my work for fear of losing anything. I suspect the power-supply is faulty, but it could be something else. Does anyone one have any ideas or suggestions?

I forgot to add that my desktop is plugged into a battery backup that is functioning properly and that nothing else on the backup goes down when my PC does.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@sky_sky

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Also run a System Test to confirm the Hardware Functionality

- Shut down the Notebook completely
- Turn it back on, then tap the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup menu screen is displayed.
- Press F2 to select System Diagnostics.
- Click System Tests, then click Extensive Test.

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Pavilion 24 -0003na keeps cutting out.

Variety of error codes  - Critical Process Died

I really need help today if possible

HP Recommended

@KrazyToad

The HP Support Assistant application is completely broken. The first and only time I was able to run it, I would not perform any of its functions. It would not check for updates and it would not run any diagnostics. Now I cannot run it at all. The uninstall function is broken as well. All it does is take me to a web form, that's it. It does not uninstall anything. I am going to have to uninstall everything manually now. I am even more frustrated than before. 😞

HP Recommended

Here are the messages from my Windows Event Viewer:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

The previous system shutdown at 10:47:09 AM on ‎8/‎27/‎2020 was unexpected.
The previous system shutdown at 3:40:27 PM on ‎8/‎26/‎2020 was unexpected.
The previous system shutdown at 1:37:10 PM on ‎8/‎21/‎2020 was unexpected.
The previous system shutdown at 1:18:32 PM on ‎8/‎19/‎2020 was unexpected.
The previous system shutdown at 2:29:35 PM on ‎8/‎17/‎2020 was unexpected.

HP Recommended

@sky_sky

I understand your concerns.

Please perform the system file check.

Please run the SFC scan. you can refer to this Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

If the issue still persists, please perform the system reset.

Windows 10 has a reset feature that repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This feature is recommended for recovery because it reinstalls Windows 10 while either preserving your personal data and customizations or removing all your personal data.

You have a choice of two methods to reset your computer.

• If Windows 10 loads correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset in Windows in this document.

• If Windows 10 does not start correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset through Windows Recovery Environment in this document.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

@KrazyToad

After a troublesome un-install, I was able to re-install and run the HP Support Assistant. It only found one recommended update for the BIOS, which I installed. Only time will tell if this was a solution to my problem.

However, I truly suspect that the power supply is the underlying issue here. If I were to replace it, what power supply should I get for my model of PC?

HP Recommended

@Praveen196

I suspect this is a power supply / hardware issue and not a Windows issue.  There seems to be no issues with the OS. It does not freeze, or lock up, it just looses power unexpectedly. (Even though it is plugged into a battery backup.)

When it has trouble booting, I have to unplug the power cable from the power supply and then plug it back in to get it to turn on. It does not get hung up or stuck during boot. Additionally, the only error messages from Windows state that it shut off unexpectedly, not that a system failed or something like that.

HP Recommended

Does HP offer an app to monitor the system hardware stats? I would like to monitor the power supply specifically.

HP Recommended

@sky_sky

There is no app from HP to monitor the hardware. However, you can run a test on the hardware to make sure that all the hardware components on the computer are working fine.

Refer to the below link for detailed steps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.