Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 510-120G
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently ran the BIOS update after being prompted by HP's software.  The Bios update seemed to have become stuck because it just sat there at a black screen for a long time doing nothing.  Finally, I shut it down and now same thing - black screen with no errors, beeps, or anything.  The fan and lights come on but nothing else.  I tried pressing Win+B and other than fan & lights, nothing comes on and screen is still black.  I tried downloading the BIOS update from the HP website and ran it so that it would put on a USB but again, nothing when I install the USB and boot it up.  I've also tried pressing the Escape key with no reaction.  This really pisses me off.  First the graphics card went out on this machine that is not very old and now this.  I'm becoming very disappointed in HP's products. 

Here is my model#  HP Pavilion 510-120G

Is there anything else I can try short of taking it to a repair shop that would charge more than this is worth?

Jeanie

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@cocjeanie 

Something to try - no guarantees.

“Press and Pray” 

Forced Restart / Boot

IF a BIOS update is just stuck / stubborn / frozen-in-place half way through the update / boot process,

And / Or

If there are boot issues that prevent a complete or clean boot of the Operating System,

IF there is not actually anything wrong with the windows installation or the File System,

The following procedure might resolve the issue.

1. Unplug everything, including power and all other externally connected components
  2. Press and hold down the power button for thirty (30) to forty (40) seconds
  3. Release the power button
  4. Plug in only basic components needed to start / boot the computer

• Desktop:  Connect Power, wired mouse and keyboard, HDMI to monitor (and monitor is powered on)
  • Notebook:  Connect AC Power

1. Switch on the system with power button - Click power and release (as for normal boot)

Hoped for Results:

• System switches on, monitor active, mouse and keyboard responsive

If the issue was a "stuck" BIOS update:

• Screen shows the BIOS update window with choices:  cancel / update
  • Wait several seconds; stare at it and contemplate actions. (The process will continue on its own after about 10-20 seconds)
  • BIOS update continues, completes, and reboots the system

When the system reboots,

1. Log in
  2. Connect LAN (Ethernet)
  3. Connect other components (USB, external webcam, speakers...)
  4. General housekeeping (checks, more staring at it)

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.