Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Curved All-in-One - 34-a010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Thed rive crashed so I replaced  it with a Samsung EVO SSD 1 TB.  Installed win 10 and all was good.  My last update that I tried to apply was BIOS.  After it completed and the system restarted I received just a black screen with HP Logo.  I have tried several suggested fixes with CMOS reset and USB flash BIOS recovery without success.  If I press ESC at the logo screen I am presented with a screen showing

Processor Type: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-6400T CPU @ 2.20 Ghz  Processor Speed: 2200 Mhz   L1/L2/L3 Cache size: 128 KBX2 / 1024 KBX1 / 6144KB  Memory size 12288 MB DDR4 / 2133 Mhz / Dual Channel Channel A: XMM1 8192 MB  Channel B: XMM2 4096 MB.  BIOS Revision / Date: VA0.16 12/11/2019. 

At the bottom of screen it says Press ESC for startup menu.  When pressed the words STARTUP Menu appear lower right corner but I cannot access it 

Please help.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, exactly correct.  I finally found another post from another frustrated user with the exact same model, slightly older Samsung SSD, exact same issue with bios.  He even tried a newer Samsung but received the same problem.  I reinserted the old drive (corrupted but recognized) and it sees it fine and I’m presented with the original error that necessitated the drive be replaced but it confirmed the POST problem.  This other user said that a crucial ssd worked correctly even with the updated bios so I ordered one.  Fingers crossed.  Thank you for your reply!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Exhausted-KR 

It looks like the PC can't POST since the BIOS update. The BIOS seems to be intact since you see an installed component list on the screen.

You have video but it looks like you have no USB function.

I can only guess the new BIOS may have a problem with the Samsung drive. I have seen isolated cases with other HP PCs where a BIOS update does this.

This is a pain to do but I would remove the Samsung drive. Now start the PC with no boot drive to see if you get a "no boot device" error.

If you see the boot error message then the BIOS may have a problem with the Samsung drive. Restart the PC. See if you can use the keyboard to enter the BIOS at the UEFI Start Menu when no boot drive is installed.

I only see one BIOS update offered by HP for your PC. Check Here to see the BIOS update. Is this the update you installed?

Regards

HP Recommended

Yes, exactly correct.  I finally found another post from another frustrated user with the exact same model, slightly older Samsung SSD, exact same issue with bios.  He even tried a newer Samsung but received the same problem.  I reinserted the old drive (corrupted but recognized) and it sees it fine and I’m presented with the original error that necessitated the drive be replaced but it confirmed the POST problem.  This other user said that a crucial ssd worked correctly even with the updated bios so I ordered one.  Fingers crossed.  Thank you for your reply!

HP Recommended

Hi @Exhausted-KR 

My pleasure.

There is a way to go back to the previous BIOS if you are interested.  HP generally prevents installing previous BIOS versions after a BIOS update. You can then continue to use the Samsung drive on this PC which would now have an older BIOS version.

It is a fairly complex procedure. Here are two Forum Links which have a different problem but they provide a way to rollback the BIOS.

Link One. Requires reinstalling the operating system. You must clear the BIOS data stored in the EFI System Partition.

Link Two. Requires editing the EFI System Partition to remove the current BIOS: .bin and .sig files. You can continue to use the existing OS installation.

In addition, you should be able to copy or clone the Samsung operating system image to the new Crucial drive if you take this approach. This will save much time and eliminate installing Windows again on the new drive.

The Samsung drive should be mountable as a data drive using a different PC. You can make and backup an image of the Samsung drive to external media on a different PC. Then copy the image to the new Crucial drive for use on your PC.

I use Paragon Free version to create OS or disk images on external media. There are other free options.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.