Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion 590-p0030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Howdy,

I recovered from a Kmode loop around a week ago with a clean reset. Well last night I found myself unable to resist the allure of the  red exclamation mark over HP support assistant (HPSA). I was offered these 9 updates (asterisks marking the ones I installed). and about ten minutes after a reboot I was hit with a Kmode...

*HP PC hardware dianostics UEFI (red !)
Hp system event utility (orange !)
intel MED driver
intel serial driver
*realtek HD audio driver
*realtek bluetooth audio driver
*realtek LAN driver (failed to install)
*realtek RTL8xxx bluetooth driver (DCHU)
*realtek RTL8xxx wireless LAN driver (DCHU)

I avoided the Intel updates due to issues I've had in the past with Intel and win10. And the Realtek drivers looked innocuous enough.

After another night of factory reset everything seems to be running fine but I now find myself avoiding updates from the HPSA.

Does anyone know which of the drivers that I installed were the corrupt ones so they can be avoided and I don't have to be fearful of using the update assistant? And is there a better way to go about fixing the issue, if it pops up a third time, than a factory reset?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'm assuming you're using either an OMEN, ENVY, or Pavillion

There is a lot going on with microsoft and HP at the moment. Since the start of the month a lot of HP gaming/business desktops have been having the kmode loop without any codes. The best advice I've found at this point is too do the following:

1. Use a restore point to before May the whole month in general has been a mess.
  2. Disable fast start up
  3. Pause Windows updates to the farthest date out you can. This is because when that date comes it will force you to update atleast one file from a windows update.
  4. Pause updates from HP Support Assistant
  5. If you are using another Antivirus great it disables Windows Defender for you. If not Disable it install anything else for the time being and TURN ON TAMPER PROTECTION.

Note this is all assuming it is a KMODE_EXECUTION_NOT_HANDLED error with no following code afterwards

Link to the forum handling this is below or manually go there
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/KMODE-EXCEPTION-NOT-HANDLED/td-...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I'm assuming you're using either an OMEN, ENVY, or Pavillion

There is a lot going on with microsoft and HP at the moment. Since the start of the month a lot of HP gaming/business desktops have been having the kmode loop without any codes. The best advice I've found at this point is too do the following:

1. Use a restore point to before May the whole month in general has been a mess.
  2. Disable fast start up
  3. Pause Windows updates to the farthest date out you can. This is because when that date comes it will force you to update atleast one file from a windows update.
  4. Pause updates from HP Support Assistant
  5. If you are using another Antivirus great it disables Windows Defender for you. If not Disable it install anything else for the time being and TURN ON TAMPER PROTECTION.

Note this is all assuming it is a KMODE_EXECUTION_NOT_HANDLED error with no following code afterwards

Link to the forum handling this is below or manually go there
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/KMODE-EXCEPTION-NOT-HANDLED/td-...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.