Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 19-2113w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just installed Linux Mint, Right? Well, Eventually I restart and click "Windows Boot Manager" to boot to Windows 10. I restart, and the hp logo blocks me from being able to see the screen that allows me to choose the OS to boot to. This only happened when i clicked "Windows Boot Manager". I asked Microsoft tech support, and they told me to see the manufactuer, as it is a BIOS problem. I also got a refferal link, if that helps: 1397293753.

System info:

Windows Version: 10.0.16273 Build 16273 (Microsoft Windows 10 Home Insider Preview)

Linux Version: Mint 18.2-Cinnamon

HP Model: 19-2113w

Processer: Intel Celeron CPU J1800 @ 2.41GHz, 2408 Hhz, 2 cores, 2 Logical Processors

Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume2

BIOS Mode: UEFI

BIOS Version/date: AMI 80.13, 6/12/2014

SMBIOS Version: 2.7

System Type: x64-based PC

Installed RAM: 4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory: 3.91

Thank you if you can help.

-Katana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Katana124

HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled. IF you replace that or add a different OS, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that other OS -- as HP then provides no assistance on that.

Win10 PCs nearly all use UEFI and that poses special problems for installing Linux distros: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295

Your best bet for Linux support, since HP does not provide Linux drivers, is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are using -- as folks there have much more experience with Linux issues and resolving them.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Katana124

HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled. IF you replace that or add a different OS, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that other OS -- as HP then provides no assistance on that.

Win10 PCs nearly all use UEFI and that poses special problems for installing Linux distros: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295

Your best bet for Linux support, since HP does not provide Linux drivers, is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are using -- as folks there have much more experience with Linux issues and resolving them.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

HP UEFI is designed to only boot into Windows.

If you want to dual boot your HP machine, you will need to re-install Windows in Legacy mode. Once you have done this, then you can install Linux along side Windows in Legacy mode as well.

Grub will be installed and the Grub menu will offer you to boot into Linux or Windows.

Dual boot should be possible with UEFI, but HP have hard programed their UEFI Firmware to always boot to Windows if it is installed.

Hope this is of help.

HP Recommended

I do agree the HP BIOS -UEFI is  hard coded for Windows OS itself.  this is why it boots into the windows system straightaway. 

In my case , i have disabled the secure boot option from the HP BIOS & have been able to install the windows 10 & CentOS 7 as a dual-boot on a pure UEFI mode (no legacy support at all & my hard drive is on GPT scheme).

Now the problem is, the boot manager is not PERSISTENT. once i get into the BIOS , the boot manager disappears and system boots to windows. Then i configure through F9 & it shows me the boot options & works fine until any further access into the BIOS. Even the BCD command  do not resolve the issue permanently. 

I would like to know what's the reason behind that strange behaviour of this boot menu. I am pretty sure i have installed the dual boot of a win 10 & CentOS 7 in a pure UEFI mode. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.