Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I'm trying to change something in UEFI, but whenever I boot into it my screen won't turn on. 

I've reset the CMOS.

I installed all updates.

The screen will simply remain black; when I try hold windows + v/b and power for 2-3 sec, the BIOS starts repairing itself (and the screen turns on)

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Desktop or Laptop?  What model and product ID?

Did this happen after a power outage?  After a windows upgrade or update?  After installing some new application or device?

When you power it up and press ESC does the HP diagnostic program start up?  If so, please run it and report any errors.

If you turn the power on and do not do anything else, what shows up on the screen?  Is it blank?  Did it light up momentarily then go out?

If  you press F10 after powering on can you get into the BIOS?

the following assumes a desktop system with detached monitor.

If you have a desktop and  a separate graphics card.  Can you enable both internal graphics and the card so both work?  If so, connect the monitor to one or the other port to see if one works.

If BIOS does not allow both internal and graphics card then  remove the graphics card and use the internal video to your monitor.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Using HP ENVY Desktop (TE01-0325nd).

I'm trying to install some virtual machine software, but to do so I need to enable something in UEFI. Everything was working fine before, except I couldn't get into UEFI (no signal on monitor). I've tried with 2 separate monitors. I now updated everything through HP Support Assistant. 

When I power up and do nothing else, windows boots.

When I power up and press ESC, I get a black screen (no signal).

Launching UEFI through advanced restart gave the same result. 

I will try F10 now. 

HP Recommended

Well, at least windows boots ;<)

If you press ESC or F10 too soon you will need to turn the power off and back on.  It can be tricky.

If you are installing virtual box or some variation there is usually a warning that AHCI needs to be enabled.  Unfortunately, the test to detect AHCI does not work on some HP system that actually have AHCI and there is no way to fake or fool the install and have it skip over the test.  (Just Guessing)

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

So here's what worked for me:

I disabled my GPU, unplugged monitor 1 (HDMI connection) but kept monitor 2 in (DVI connection). 

Reseated CMOS. 

When I booted up, it booted me into the CMOS reset menu (beforehand, none of those menus showed up). Then everything was working. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.