Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ELITEDESK 800 G3 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to access BIOS so I can change boot order.

I hit F10 on start up to access BIOS but am being asked for BIOS password. I bought the computer second-hand so I don't have this unfortunately.

I have read some similar issues on the forums, and I can see that users have been advised to enter wrong password 3 times, and then it gives them a system disable code. However, this doesn't work for me. When I tried this it just says: 

Authentication failed. System disabled. Press the power button to restart system.

So then it just takes me back round in circles.

So can anyone please let me know how I can reset the BIOS password, or get round this somehow to access the boot menu. (I'm aware of F9 to choose where to boot from, but I need to do this every time, so it's not a long term solution for me. I want to boot from USB rather than hard drive.)

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

See the service manual at the link below, chapter 8, pp 117-118 for how to clear the BIOS P/W.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05386798

If removing the jumper does not clear the P/W, then the previous owner enabled the stringent security setting in the BIOS, which prevents clearing the password when the jumper is removed.

The only solution under that circumstance would be to replace the motherboard.

If the latter is the case, hopefully you can return the PC to the seller.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

See the service manual at the link below, chapter 8, pp 117-118 for how to clear the BIOS P/W.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05386798

If removing the jumper does not clear the P/W, then the previous owner enabled the stringent security setting in the BIOS, which prevents clearing the password when the jumper is removed.

The only solution under that circumstance would be to replace the motherboard.

If the latter is the case, hopefully you can return the PC to the seller.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. It's much appreciated. Just before I try this I wanted to check if this will invalidate the warranty, as there is still a few months left on it.

Also, just as a thought, as it's still under warranty could anything be done in terms of getting me a backdoor password or something?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I do not work for or represent HP, but I can tell you that if you can't clear the BIOS password by following the instructions in the manual, the warranty will not cover replacing the motherboard.

HP will not help you remove the password.    HP recently issued this notice...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06368824

There are no backdoor passwords. 

Removing the jumper is the only way to clear the P/W and only if the stringent security setting wasn't enabled.

HP Recommended

Ok thanks again for your help. Happy New year to you.

I will mark this as solved.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Please let us know if removing the P/W jumper cleared the P/W for you.

Happy New Year to you as well!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.