Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6653w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Pavilion p6653w that originally came with Windows 7 64bit.  I did the upgrade to Windows 10.  Since the upgrade, during a cold boot startup, the system will not boot saying that it cannot find the boot drive.  However, if I enter BIOS at startup & hit "Save and Exit", the system boots normally.  The BIOS is from 2010 ver 6.02 which is years before Windows 10 came out.  I'm thinking that an updated BIOS may solve the issue as the system passes all hardware tests.  On the drivers page there are no BIOS drivers showing.  Can anyone point me in the right direction of where I can find a newer BIOS for this system please?  Thank you in advance for any advise or links to the BIOS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Promethee,  Here is my update...cloning the Seagate drive over to the Western Digital drive worked.  Apparently, the problem is with the Seagate drive and HP/Windows 10 not having a driver compatible for this system running Windows 10.  I guess that I will run with the WD as it does not require me to enter BIOS upon startup.  Thanks for all your help!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello
if there is bios, it will not be for windows 10 ..
But from what I have seen there is not even a version available for windows 7 / vista ///

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-p6600-desktop-pc-series/4269976/model/4...

[edit]

there is a bios available from the serial page!
I cannot guarantee if it is the right one!

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-p6600-desktop-pc-series/42699...

• Resolves an issue with resuming from sleep mode on systems configured with 4GB or more of memory.
  • Switches certain BIOS settings from "Enabled" to "Disabled" to protect against undesired changes.
  • Installs HP Vision Diagnostic tool, accessible by pressing F9 during the BIOS startup screen.
Click the Download Only button.
  1. At the File Download screen, click the Save button.
  2. At the Save As screen, save the file to your Desktop.
  3. If a message appears stating that the file already exists, click YES to overwrite file.
  4. Double-click the icon for the update downloaded to your desktop, and then click NEXT.
  5. Follow on-screen instructions.
  6. If prompted to restart the system upon completion of the update, click YES and allow system to restart.

• You must be logged on as an administrator to install this update.
  • You must have a Microsoft Windows 7 operating system.
--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you for the information Promethee.  I will try this over the weekend and respond with, hopefully good, results.

HP Recommended

Thanks again Promethee, sorry for the long overdue response, but that BIOS is only for Windows 7 systems and said that my Windows 10 was not compatible.  I think it is a Seagate/AMD problem as I tried with a clean install of Windows 7 on a Western Digital(WD) and then upgraded that drive to Windows 10 and the problem disappears.  The only difference is that with a clean install/upgrade, in the device manager, the "IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS" shows a generic "STANDARD DUAL CHANNEL PCI IDE CONTROLLER" with the WD while the Seagate install shows the "AMD CONTROLLER".  I tried to remove this driver and the system blue screened upon startup with the message, "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DRIVE"...thankfully I created a system restore prior to making changes so that I could get past that issue.  It is just strange that the system only locks up at the HP splash screen from a cold start but has no problem during a restart.  The only way I can get it to boot into Windows from a cold start is to either enter BIOS then Save & Exit or by selecting the drive from the boot menu.  Any other ideas are always appreciated.

HP Recommended

You did not take advantage of windows 7 to update? Although I am not sure of the outcome

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

No, I'm not sure how to revert the BIOS back to 6.02 in the case that the newer BIOS might not allow the Windows 10 upgrade.  Didn't want to take the chance as it specifically states only for Windows 7 and wouldn't install with Windows 10 already on the system.

HP Recommended

As a final step, I'm going to clone the data from the Seagate drive onto the WD drive and try booting from the WD drive.  As they are both 1TB drives, this will take some time.  I will post back to let you know my findings.

HP Recommended

Hi Promethee,  Here is my update...cloning the Seagate drive over to the Western Digital drive worked.  Apparently, the problem is with the Seagate drive and HP/Windows 10 not having a driver compatible for this system running Windows 10.  I guess that I will run with the WD as it does not require me to enter BIOS upon startup.  Thanks for all your help!

HP Recommended

thanks for giving news @Alabama35121 

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.