Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop - 510-p125nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. So, I saw a notification of the HP update app on my desktop PC. I decided to update the bios as asked by the hp app. It downloaded the update, rebooted on the bios update screen, installed, rebooted again. And then the odd happened.

The screen went black. Keyboard and mouse are working but nothing is displayed on screen. What should I do? 

I accidentally pressed the ESC key on the second reboot when the hp logo appeared. What can I do to use the pc again?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@IMNOTIKE

Welcome to HP Forums,  

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I see that your experiencing issue with a bios update, I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue.

Perform a series of keyboard presses to launch an automatic BIOS recovery. This option is available for many HP computers with a functioning hard drive.

Recover the last working BIOS version:

1. Turn on the original computer with the issue, and then immediately press the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup Menu opens.

Startup menu

2. Press the F1 key to open System Information.

System Information lists the product number and BIOS version.

3. Write down the SKU Number, the System Board ID, and the BIOS version/revision.

Step 2: Set up the BIOS update on the USB flash drive

Use a second computer with Internet access to create a BIOS recovery USB flash drive.

1. Insert a blank USB flash drive into an available port on the second computer.

2. Go to HP Software & Driver Downloads and enter the product number of the original computer.

3. Look through the available software for BIOS, click it, and then confirm it is a higher version number and it is for your processor type.

• If the update is correct, click Download, and then click Run.

• If the update is not correct, view details of other BIOS updates in the list. If there are no other updates, the computer does not require a BIOS update.

• If BIOS is not in the list of available software, an update is currently unavailable.

4. In the InstallShield Wizard window, click Next.

BIOS Install Wizard

5. Select I accept the terms in the license agreement, and then click Next.

6. Select Create Recovery USB flash drive, and then click Next.

Create Recovery USB flash drive in HP System BIOS Update Utility

7. Select your USB flash drive in the list, and then click Next.

8. Wait while the BIOS files copy to the drive.

9. When 'The recovery flash drive was created successfully' displays, click Finish.

Step 3: Update the BIOS

Use the Hardware Diagnostics UEFI on the original computer to update the BIOS.

1. Turn on the original computer, and then immediately press the Esc key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

2. Press the F2 key to open the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI menu.

3. Insert the USB flash drive that contains the BIOS update into an available USB port on the computer.

4. Click Firmware Management or BIOS Management.

5. Click BIOS Update.

Click BIOS Update in the BIOS Management window

6. Click Select BIOS Image To Apply.

Select the BIOS Image to apply

7. Click HP_TOOLS - USB Drive, and then click Hewlett-Packard.

8. Click BIOS, and then click CURRENT or NEW.

9. Select the BIOS update file that matches the System Board ID. The ID has a "0" before the board ID (example: 02291.bin).

BIOS update file selection

10. Click Apply Update Now. Type the administrator password if prompted.​​​​​​​

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I attempted the resolution steps you listed with no success. I can hear my laptop running but the screen remains black. 

I had selected “restart now” after the installation. I walked away while it rebooted. When I came back it had gone to sleep so I quickly pressed the power button to wake it back up. There was a screen with a countdown and had a “continue with startup” option that was ghosted out. When the countdown completed, the screen went blank and here we are. 

Please help!

HP Recommended

Hey there! @pinkashy7

Are you able to boot into the BIOS or F2 page on the PC?

Have you tried checking with an external monitor? Does the issue persist?

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Connect an external monitor to the PC and backup the data.

Try the steps recommended below.

Reset a laptop with a removable battery

Turn off the computer.
Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
With the battery and power cord unplugged, press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors.
Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the laptop, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
The computer starts normally or a startup menu opens.
If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.
After Windows opens, reconnect each peripheral device that was disconnected, one device at a time, until all devices are reconnected.

If you are able to boot into BIOS try restoring the BIOS to default.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Refer this article to know more information about no boot issues. Click Here

If you are able to boot into the F2 page try running a system diagnostics test and check if the hardware is functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics test on the PC. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi A4Apollo,

I have Laptop Model 15-da0032wm, Product ID 4AK77UA#ABA

I can press Windows+B and bring up the BIOS recovery. It downloads, restarts and then remains a black screen while still running. 

Please help!!

HP Recommended

@pinkashy7

Thanks for writing back to us.

Create a USB recovery drive

Install a BIOS recovery file from the HP website using a USB flash drive. To complete this step, you need a second working computer with an active Internet connection.

Refer this article to know more information about recovering the BIOS. Click Here

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

IT WORKED!!!

I don't have the option to accept the solution, but by creating the USB recovery and following the instructions, my HP is back up and running!

Thank you so, so much!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

HP Recommended

@pinkashy7

Happy to hear that. If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us. 

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.