Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 30L Desktop - GT13-0046na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was prompted by Windows to do a small update on Friday. After the update was done, it told me it would be restarting. As soon as it restarted it went went into start-up repair. I've been trying to fix this for 3 days now and it's driving me insane.  I've had a bunch of log files and error codes. The current one I'm getting is\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\Harddisk\Volume4\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt. Previously today I had "inaccessible boot device". Nothing I read on the internet from similar cases has helped, it might have actually made things worse.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Looks like the Windows update has messed up the operating system (OS). Since you are also seeing a inaccessible boot device error you might want to check the hardware. So start the PC. Tap "ESC". Select "F2". Run system tests.

You now probably have a corrupted Windows installation if the hardware is okay. You have some OS recovery options but you might have to reinstall the HP OS factory image or install W10 clean using Microsoft installation media on a bootable USB stick.

You might be able to use the Microsoft system restore option to go to a point prior to the bad update. This will only work if system restore is on. You need a USB Microsoft Recovery drive or USB Microsoft installation media. You can create the installation media using this (Link). Boot to the media and select Repair this PC.

Check this site (Link) for steps to use system restore. Read the entire tutorial for the best results.

You may have to start fresh using HP's Cloud Recovery option (Link) or the Microsoft W10 OS installation media if you can't recover using system restore. You will lose data if you don't have backups. You would have to remove the storage device then connect to a different PC as a data drive to save stuff before you reinstall the OS.

Regards

HP Recommended

If your WinRE environment is accessible you choose "Uninstall Updates"

If not follow the Grzwaz advice and download the installation media, boot from the device and on the
2nd setup page select "Repair your computer" (at bottom left)and start the command prompt
Find your Installation letter with diskpart (can be C or D)
and in command prompt type

DISM /Image:C:\ /Get-Packages /format:table
(if it is C:)
Now you get a list of all updates.
Find the last one and type: (My example Package name)
DISM /Image:C:\ /Remove-Package PackageName:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~19041.1387.1.12

This is just the path to your log-file
\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\Harddisk\Volume4\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt.
Usually it is not very helpfull

HP Recommended

Neither restoring or repairing fixes the issue. System tests came back fine.

I attempted to do the HP Cloud Recovery but it seems that my product number is invalid.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.