Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G4 Small Form Factor PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After selecting optional updates in Windows 10, including bios update. After the restart, the computer only booted into the HP logo. After a CMOS reset (yellow button on the battery), the computer only cycles the fan for about 10 seconds. No screen, USB keyboard off... Help please!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

This does not seem good.

If the keyboard works it is possible to recover the old bios using the WIN+B key

Unplug system from wall, wait a few minutes then plug it in and turn it on while watching the keyboard.

Does the keyboard LEDs flash:  CAP or NUM lock light up?

If the keyboard works try the following

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpiGUojtr3E

If the screen is not working you will have to guess as to where the response is to be done.  I do not have any HP system with the WIN+B key feature as all are older.  Possibly you can just press the return key or punch the tab button to (Hopefully) go to the next instruction in the video.

If indeed the keyboard is dead and system not functional then you are limited to

1 - warrantee service

2 - pay to fix it: buy new chip and take to someone with the skills  Frequently a used computer on eBay is cheaper than any repair.

3 - fix it yourself.

If 2 or 3 is only option then you can get BIOS chip here

As explained at that site you will need the skills to replace the chip.  Not mentioned is the possibility of using a "silver" ink (conductive) pen to "piggy back" the new chip.  The old chip would have to be carefully ground or cut off from the motherboard.   The silver or nickel adhesive in the pen used to re-attach the new chip.

In the past, I have used conductive pens to convert AMD Athlon chips from single to multiprocessor by bridging connections that were cut. I suspect this approach might work if you have a steady hand and there are no other alternatives.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.