Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp compaq elite 8300 Ultra-Slim desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I don't know the password for my bios, ive reset it, as other boards have said, but the password still remains.Is there any way to reset it and put a new one, or is there a default one thats placed when resetting?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi

How did you reset it?

Have you tried 3 guesses and gotten an error code?

HP Recommended

Hi, @MikeStandly

See the service manual below, chapter 12, page 306 for how to clear the BIOS password on your PC...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03612798

If that doesn't clear the password, then the cautionary note right below the title at the top of page 306 applies, and you will have to replace the motherboard with one without a BIOS P/W.

HP Recommended

i reset it by taking out the cmos battery and pressing the button, neither worked, i even did the 3 guesses thing for a while and nothing happened, it never locked me out

HP Recommended

Did you read what I posted?

You have to find and remove the green password jumper.

Removing the cmos battery and pressing the yellow clear cmos button does nothing to clear the BIOS P/W as you found out.

Follow the instructions in chapter 12 on page 306

HP Recommended

im sorry, i did not see your response, thank you

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If stringent security was not set, then removing the green clear password jumper will resolve the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.