gmoseley
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Bios password persists after multiple flash attempts

HP Recommended
HP Z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows Server 2016

I recently received a Z420 from my previous employer. During the offboarding process they released the bios password that was set by them in the system. I attempted to use this password to no avail. When I attempt to use the jumpers or the cmos battery clear, the date on the system menu changed to 1/1/2005 but the password is never removed. 

I was told that there is a halt code that I can get from failing the  password prompt multiple times but I do not see this code anywhere in the menus. I just wanted to enable Virtualization and this is a huge pain. Any suggestions would be great thank you.

I Reset the cmos battery by leaving it out for 30 minutes.
I Booted into every menu I possibly can to find halt code

System Info

HP Z420 Workstatis

32gb ECC DDR3 / 1600 MHz

SKU F1K01UT#ABA

Bios J61 v03.65

I've obfiscated some information listed here as I believe it's irrelevant. However, I do notice that the asset tag from my previous employer still stands. 

I am going to look into a USB bios flash now.

-Update-

Unforunately, every method of bios flashing I have found requires a password.

2 REPLIES 2
AVP68
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You seem to be on the right track but in addition to reseting the CMOS battery you may need to remove the jumper as well...see this link under "06 – Remove A Jumper"...see if this helps.

https://www.geckoandfly.com/6940/reset-or-remove-bios-password-for-acer-dell-hp-toshiba-asus-and-app...

OR

You can remove the BIOS passwrod with the MS DOS technique:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617188/resetting-the-bios-supervisor-password-with-debug-c...

0 Kudos
gmoseley
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for these links. I will try these solutions out tomorrow and accept as solution if I can get them to work. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation