Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hey, I've had a hard drive problem. I have backup software but I need to bootup from a thumb drive. How do I setup

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@oteymus 

OK, thanks.  There is still a mystery here because while ALL HP PCs that came with Win10 preloaded came also with UEFI boot and Secure Boot enabled, I do not know if that was also true of PCs that came with Windows 8x.  I presume it is, but I do not know for sure.

This is important because Secure Boot, in the UEFI settings, prevents you from booting from anything other than the internal drive.  You have to disable that to boot from USB stick.

Also, UEFI boot requires that the boot USB also support UEFI and be formatted GPT.  The PC sometimes will see a MBR-formatted drive in the UEFI settings in the section below EFI devices, but not always.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@oteymus 

Without at least the model number of the PC, it's difficult to provide any detailed assistance.

HP Recommended

Hey,

Thanks for your response. Product number is J4W13M. Serial is 4CS43801G2.

HP Recommended

Pavilion 23

HP Recommended

@oteymus 

Not having any luck with the info you provided.  Pavilion 23 is a Series, not a Model.  The J4W13M is not a valid model.

And, why are you not able to boot the recovery software?

HP Recommended

Hey,

Sorry, can't read my own writing.

Model is J4W13AA

HP Recommended

@oteymus 

OK, that ID indicates you have an HP Pavilion 23-h110 TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop.  Is that correct?

Also says it came with Win8.1, but we need to know if this is still running that or if you upgraded it to Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Hey,

With the recovery thumb drive in a USB port, it still goes to the Windows welcome screen.

HP Recommended

@oteymus 

Please answer the questions I recently posted.

HP Recommended

Windows 10 with up to date updates

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.